2004 YZ450F... Should I buy?

12 replies to this topic
  • smccart

Posted April 06, 2006 - 09:49 PM

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 YZ450F. The bike is in great shape and the price seems fair but I'm hesitant after reading the shootout results for that year. I havent been involved with MX since highschool (about 10 years ago) and I'm wanting to get back into it which is of course why I'm looking for a bike. The CRF did really well in the 2004 shootout done by the mags. Should I hold out for a CRF or go with the YZ? I'll mostly be riding for fun but I hope to get back into racing eventually. I hear the power is unmanageable with the YZ which makes me nervous considering I havent been on a bike for nearly 10 years. Any suggestions?

• snowboardstylee

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:01 PM

DUDE i love my 2004. havnt had one single problem with it at all . handles great rides great super super fast love the 4 speed trans compared to the 5 speed in the 06 .. if the power is what your worried about you can get a weighted flywheel that will help smooth out the THUMP in the power delivery and you can also go down a few teeth in the sprocket(but not recommended) .. if you want valve problems get the honda. but if you want something strong and reliable get the 2004. just curious what are you paying for it. i got mine for 3800 in 2005

• smccart

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:07 PM

the guy is asking $4k. he says its in perfect condition with no wear and tear. apparently its only been ridden a couple of times. i'm going to check it out on saturday to make sure its in the shape he says its in.

so how much does a weighted flywheel cost? and is the extra thump in the power delivery really a problem or is it something you simply get used to.

• mxrayser

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:14 PM

Yamaha GYT-R weighted flywheel $99, but the power you will get used to easy enough then decide. I paid $3800 for my 04, very happy :thumbsup:

• T H O R

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:31 AM

My Dad has a 04, I have a 06. He never has had any problems with his 04, its a great bike. The only thing I don't like about the 05 and under Yamaha's now is they have the steel tubed frame, that is the main reason I went out and wanted a 06. But its a good, fast, all around bike. I think it will fit you fine for just fun riding.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:52 AM

The bike I have is supposedly the WILD one and I love the power. Unmanageable? Hardly.

I love my bike and its reliable as a hammer. The same can't be said of the 04 CRF if you read thier forum.

I'd try to dicker that price down. You can buy new 05s for not much more than that. Maybe 3700 or so if its in great shape. After all its 2006. That is a 2 year old dirt bike no matter how little its been ridden.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:40 AM

I don't think you will be disappointed with the 04 YZ450. I love mine. It's been a great bike. I put the DR. D 8 oz flywheel on mine and love it. It cost $110 w/ a flywheel puller. I would try to talk him down some also. $4000 seems a little high. Good luck.

• crfdaddy

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:58 AM

i saw a 2005 at a mx track 2 weeks ago good shape not excellent but good he is asking $3800.00 call clayton bryant 434-983-3408 not related i bought a dr d dipe from him for my 04 located in va.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:14 AM

Out of the box, the '04 YZ450F is quite a handful for everyone but a seasoned pro.

That can be fixed though. Flywheel weights can drastically change the engine's dynamics to make it more managable everywhere. Smoothes out the power to where you can use it and not have the motor rip your arms off. Some guys have gone so far though as to change the '04's cam timing to WRF specs! Either way, it is still better than the CRF for reliability reasons alone. Buy the YZF if you want a bike that will last.

• smccart

Posted April 07, 2006 - 11:15 AM

thanks for the great info. i think i'm gonna go ahead and get it (as long as he goes down on the price a bit). does anyone have some suggestions on which flywheels are the best? and exactly what weight should I go for?

• ovrrdrive

Posted April 07, 2006 - 12:00 PM

The '04 has a heavier flywheel on it from the factory. Do yourself a favor and ride it before you decide to change the flywheel on it.

I have an '04 and it has been absolutely troublefree. Get it. :thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted April 08, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Out of the box, the '04 YZ450F is quite a handful for everyone but a seasoned pro.

I don't know about that....all it takes is a smooth right hand. I would think a "seasoned pro" would need a lot of help in suspension and fine tuning the motor. To imply that only a seasoned pro would manage this bike is a bit of a stretch.

• YzGuy79

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:41 AM

The bike I have is supposedly the WILD one and I love the power. Unmanageable? Hardly.

I don't know about that....all it takes is a smooth right hand. I would think a "seasoned pro" would need a lot of help in suspension and fine tuning the motor. To imply that only a seasoned pro would manage this bike is a bit of a stretch.

Thank god there are other people on here that feel the same as I do. My friends thought I was crazy going from a 125 to a 450. But I know how to use my right hand gently :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.