Smog System Removal

14 replies to this topic
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted April 06, 2006 - 07:59 PM

I finally go around to taking the charcoal canister off the BRP. From what I understand, only California bikes come with the smog system unit correct? This would mean my bike originated in California, quite a way away from Michigan.

But back to the topic. When I got my bike, the smog pump unit was removed but the evaporative charcoal canister remained which does not make much sense because that is the easy part to take off. The plug was in the bottom air box vent and the canister hose was attached to the top for reasons unknown to me. I removed the canister and all of the hoses and it has dawned on me that i did not have the hose that was mentioned in the instruction as being used to go from the case vent to the air box so i used a combination of 2 hoses to do the job and it works well. So I have the tranny case venting into the air box.

I would just like to make sure that it is correct to vent the case to the air box. Does anyone think this is wrong? My dad has told me that this may cause dirt to be sucked into the case but I am unsure if he is correct.

Overall I am very happy, it looks much cleaner and I can actually get to the idle adjustment screw. I have not yet ran her and I cant wait to see if it gets rid of the minor popping she has.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 06, 2006 - 08:40 PM

BTW, heres the instructions I used, very good.

http://4strokes.com/.../honda/xrlsmog/

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:45 AM

I guessed you somehow missed this post

http://www.thumperta...78&page=1&pp=10

Routing the crankcase breather to the air box IS a good thing...

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:49 AM

That critter wasn't a charcoal canister, it helps keep the oil from the crankcase breather out of the airbox, and was also used to 'power' the air injector.

Plumbing the crankcase breather to the airbox is OK as long is it goes to the *filtered* part of the airbox.

Dave

• Jawmail

Posted April 07, 2006 - 12:03 PM

This is good information as I am doing the DMSM (Dave's Mod + Smog Removal) this weekend on my brand new 06 L.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Ok, thats pretty much what I was looking for. Its amazing how much different it looks without that lame black can sittin there. Will the simple mod of routing the case to the airbox make her run any differently?

The IMS block off kit comes with 4 hose caps and the instructions only talk about one place to block off the carb.....whats up with that?

• Motorrider

Posted April 08, 2006 - 11:05 PM

I just did my '06 L yesterday, and I used everything they included in the kit. I did have to dig around for a bigger vacuum cap for the one nipple on the carb though. the ones that come in the kit were too small, and I tore one trying to get it on. Haven't got a lot of miles yet, but sure seems a lot better, and definately looks a lot better! I can't believe all the junk they pout on there! I dont' usually like modifying things (mechanically), but that stuff had to go! I took digital photos of the process, before and after, so in case I have to put it back on, I might actually be able to figure it out. I think I might remove the shrouds next. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted April 09, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Could you upload pics of where you put the 4 caps on the carb? I havnt got a clue on where they go.

• radvocaat

Posted April 09, 2006 - 08:26 PM

For the weight of the canister, im tempted to put it back on, since i've noticed small amounts of oil getting into the airbox on the filtered air side, through the bottom nipple, so it could go through the carb but the small amount of oil isn't a big deal, is it?! I can't see it hurting anything, but can someone tell me why this is a necessary mod and what performace improvements are expected.I didn't notice any. I agree cosmetically it looks better without it!! Anyway, any thoughts on this???
BTW
Canadian sold XRL's have the smog stuff too. At least they change the speedo to have kms(big), over miles(small).

RJA in BC

• Motorrider

Posted April 09, 2006 - 09:00 PM

I wouldn't think the oil is a big deal. It's coming in through the bottom just by vacuum right? I find that the bike starts easier, and runs smoother. No more big popping on decel! The throttle response is much better than before. I think that's the real power most guys are talking about. I was really fighting the motor taking off from stops and such, seems much better now! :thumbsup:

• Motorrider

Posted April 09, 2006 - 09:03 PM

I will do my best to get you the photos uploaded. Maybe check back tomorrow!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 10, 2006 - 03:21 PM

For the weight of the canister, im tempted to put it back on, since i've noticed small amounts of oil getting into the airbox on the filtered air side, through the bottom nipple, so it could go through the carb but the small amount of oil isn't a big deal, is it?! I can't see it hurting anything, but can someone tell me why this is a necessary mod and what performace improvements are expected.I didn't notice any. I agree cosmetically it looks better without it!! Anyway, any thoughts on this???
BTW
Canadian sold XRL's have the smog stuff too. At least they change the speedo to have kms(big), over miles(small).

RJA in BC

I had some of the same thoughts, but now that I have gotten in a good ride, I am amazed at how much it changed her to take the canister off. It used to have a pretty nasty pop on decel which is totaly gone now. I dont understand how taking the canister off solved this but it did.

• YUKI

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Where can I get the IMS kit?

• YUKI

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:24 AM

Would u mind posting the images? or, email them?

ThanX, Yuki

• Muddin

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I just did the smog mod and all seems good, all I used from kit was the two block off plates. I went with Kyle Swansons mod, wich is remove pump and canister then take hose from top of air box and plug in top of T connector then one from the bottom of air box into bottom of T then hose from case to center of T. With Carb I removed two vent and vacum hoses and took hose and connected them togeather around front of carb, this I will change when I take carb off to rejet and plug with two caps from kit.I found caps hard to get on also but will try again with carb off. Just for the fun of it I blew in smog pump to see how much resistance there was and it sounded like a horn.I am guessing this resistance has a fair amount to do with popping and minor backfiring when you let off on throttle. Bike works well but I find I lost some engine braking. If anyone notices anything wrong with the way I did smog removal please let me Know, cause I am new at this but willing to learn. I got smog kit at Baja Designs.(super to deal with)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.