throttle stop screw help

6 replies to this topic
  • One Louder

Posted April 06, 2006 - 05:37 PM

I have a 98 yz 400 and I have no idea what to adjust the throttle stop screw to. (not the idle adjuster screw) The manual gives no specs. I took the carb apart to clean it and I don't know how mant turns to set the screw at. By the way what does it do anyway :thumbsup:

thanks

Dan

• One Louder

Posted April 06, 2006 - 05:41 PM

here is a picture I found of my carb. in the pic the stop screw is the one closest to the front of the carb
http://i3.photobucke...derznki/top.jpg

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 07:37 AM

everyone is silent both in this forum and the jetting forum....maybe noone knows :thumbsup: Greyracer :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roaky81

Posted April 08, 2006 - 07:49 AM

I just did a wr400 idle screw and the book says to record the factory # of turns before removing it and that's what I did. From my years of rebuilding all types of carbs, I will turn in the screw (while counting the turns) till it's LIGHTLY seated and write the #'s down. The wr was around 2 1/4 turns. most old carbs seem to be around 1 1/2 to 2 turns from lightly seated. You can try starting at 2 turns out, start the bike and turn in the screw till the idle starts falling off, then back out 1/2 a turn (I think that's the richer direction). Your complete fuel mixture starts with the idle, then adds in the needle mixture, then the main jet mixture. So you really want the idle to be good. And I hope you're talking about the idle mixture screw and idle rpm stop screw.

• Fastest1

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Does that screw have any adjustment? Isnt that where the slide attaches to the throttle shaft? I dont believe it has any adjustment, just snug/tight.

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:27 AM

the weird thing is that as you can see in the pic, there is a screw in the center and there is a nut that slides over the screw. the nut locks the screw in place. The book says to record # fo turns cet by factory but this is an older bike

• One Louder

Posted April 10, 2006 - 10:54 PM

has anyone had this problem before while cleaning their carbs? will this screw affect the way the bike runs? any ideas would be helpful

thanks

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.