WR450 vs YZ426 gearing

Hi, I am looking into getting a WR450 or a YZ426. I plan to ride mainly in the woods and some beach tracks. Im trying to save a bit of $ by getting the YZ instead of the the WR. I dont mind not having the e-button. My main concern is the gearing. Does anyone have the gear ratios for the two bikes? I mainly need the primary ratio and the gearbox ratios. The sprockets are easily changed so i dont really mind if I have to do those. ?

Wow, you want to get specific ?

I refered to my 1998-2002 yz/wr 4xxf Clymer manual for the specs your seeking. It might not be correct for the 450, but should give you an idea of the differences between the yz and wr.

Primary reduction/gear....................2.952(62/21) (yz and wr are the same)

secondary reduction/chain

WR..............................................3.571(50/14)

YZ...............................................3.5(49/14)

Gear Ratios

WR

1st..............................................2.416(29/12)

2nd.............................................1.733(26/15)

3rd..............................................1.312(21/16)

4th..............................................1.05(21/20)

5th...............................................0.84(21/25)

YZ

1st...............................................1.929(27/14)

2nd...............................................1.563(25/16)

3rd................................................1.278(23/18)

4th................................................1.091(24/22)

5th................................................0.952(20/21)

these numbers change slightly from year to year but you can get a picture of whats going on. The WR's wide ratio transmission actually starts with a lower first gear and ends with a higher 5th gear.

On my WR- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are wicked and will cause you to hold on trying to counter the gforce of acceleration(and the front end when the back tire hooks up). 4th gear finally will allow you to relax slightly although you are now going very fast. :confused:

I think you can use either bike for about anything, and can change your secondary ratio to meet your needs ?

Wow, thanks Numskull ?

This helps me a lot. I think i may go for the WR afterall because I can gear down the YZ to get the trque at low speeds but then I will be changing gears every 2 sec and my top speed will not be that great. Plus I get the magic button with the WR450 ?

Thanks again :confused: