Why wouldn't this work!

6 replies to this topic
  • willnevergrowup

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:11 AM


Hello all!

I was wondering why this wouldn't work. I currently have a 2004 XR650L and I wanted a xr650R, but I wanted to have something street legal here in Wisconsin. I want to be able to do some Hare Scramble and be streetable. Here is my idea.

Give my dad who lives in Montana my "L" have him buy a "R" have the Baja kit and all to make it street legal in Montana get it plated in and I borrow it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

  • x400r

Posted April 06, 2006 - 11:07 AM


I would think that you would draw less attention if you just had a wisconsin plate possibly from you L.

  • cleonard

Posted April 06, 2006 - 11:49 AM


I would think that you would draw less attention if you just had a wisconsin plate possibly from you L.

The borrow route may just work out and be at least quasi legal. Carry a note from your father stating that he is loaning the bike to you. If you run into the same law enforcement officer too may times it might stop working.

The switch the plate method is easy, but if you get caught you will be in deep :thumbsup: . If you pull that move in here California, I think that they can charge you with a felony. Not worth the risk as far as I concerned.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • willnevergrowup

Posted April 06, 2006 - 01:11 PM


I know the police here would have a field day with the plate switch also. I don't want to do anything illegal, just bend the rules a little.

  • dukeryder

Posted April 06, 2006 - 01:16 PM



As long as it gets registered once in MT, you'll be able to transfer the registration to WI. Also, you can borrow it all you want if it says on paper it's the old mans, and if the piggies run the VIN and it doesn't come back stolen they can't do shit. If you live where the cops are real dicks and they don't like you already they'll can make life aggravating; but taht's all.

  • willnevergrowup

Posted April 06, 2006 - 01:19 PM


I get along just fine with the cops. I'm getting to old to cause to much trouble.

  • gnarly sprockets

Posted April 06, 2006 - 06:53 PM


That'll work. I can ride my AZ plated R in California w/o breaking the law. And I can loan it to my California friends there also. I've done both several times and never been stopped.

Related Content


Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.