Aftermarket Cam for your 426. Best thing since sliced bread

25 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Jason Schreiner_*

Posted April 06, 2006 - 08:07 AM

This is for all you 426 owners that have a larger right leg than left from kicking your 426 over. I just had the stock cam replaced with a "HotCams" 450 cam. Bike now kicks over on first/second kick. No bullshit! and it takes about 1/3 the effort of the original kick. having a new bike.

I'm told Yamaha sells the cam for about $300 bucks. The one from HotCams sell for about $190. (And of course I paid $100 bucks for installation). WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!

• Fizz

Posted April 06, 2006 - 08:20 AM

the yamaha 450 cam can be bought from TT OEM Store for ~$100 ... :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2006 - 08:46 AM

It's true, the auto decomp conversion is easily the best thing you can do to a YZ426. No doubt about it.

But you were mislead about the cam. Retail on the YZ450 OEM exhaust cam, PN 5TA-12180-00-00, is $146.30, and your discount as a member of TT OEM runs around 35%.

The Hot Cams is a good product, though, and the AD conversion cam they offer does have the advantage of having timing marks on it that are specific to the 426 head.

• 642MX

Posted April 06, 2006 - 04:43 PM

Did you use Hot Cams 450 exhaust cam or the Hot Cams 426 exhaust cam?

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted April 06, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Yeap, I remember that day also! I put the 426 cam in mine, it seemed to rev a little longer.

• Guest_Jason Schreiner_*

Posted April 06, 2006 - 06:42 PM

I used the "Hotcams yz450 stage 1 ex" (part number 09250035). 4022-1E is written on the box underneath the bar code.

• obxnc

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:27 AM

HotCams make a 426 specific cam part # 4035-1e. Mine will be here any day now.

• berudd

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:32 AM

Ha, I just sold my 426 and it was one of the easiest starting bikes I have ever ridden. It does not take any more effort to start. You did use the decomp lever right? I thought this mod was a "must do" as well but once I learned to ride and start the bike I was left wondering what the point was.

But, anyway, glad to hear you are happy with your choice. That is all the really matters anyway.

• Zique

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:25 AM

I think it just depends on the bike. My 426 start right up w/ no probs, but the same routine on my friends' doesn't do the trick the first time. And I know that I do the exact same thing's me!

If you have a hard time, it sound like that really might be nice...I'm glad you are happy with your purchase :thumbsup: RIDE ON! :thumbsup:

• Zique

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:26 AM

I'm going to start working on the BK mod! That's what mine needs!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DTYZ426

Posted April 07, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Just did the 450 cam mod last weekend, relatively simple procedure.
3rd kick and it started right up.

I had to add .15 mm to the shim size to compensate for the additional lobe to lifter clearance. Check with your local shop for shims, my shop (Stockton Moto) owned by Gregg Betz, swapped my shims for the correct shims, no charge. Very cool.

Now I just need to get healthy, the Doctor found a synovial cyst in my L4-L5 region of my back and it is very difficult to sit for any length of time, so no riding till who knows when.

Oh well, do the cam mod, BK mod, blue wire mod and make your 426 the bike it should have been all along

• gem

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Hello men, I bought a 00' 426 around January and since the temps are now good I have ridden twice for about 2 hrs each time. It's definately different then my KDX220! I am going to take a chance that the bike will last long enough for a cam mod to be worth it but like many of you, I am wondering if I should go with the 03 450 as DTYZ426 has, or the 426 specific cam from Hot Cams such as OBXNC has. My understanding so far is the 03 cam is cheaper and requires something like one full chain link forward positioning but still gives you all the features we are after, and the Hot Cams product is more money doesn't reguire the advancement in positioning but still the same benefits. So I look foward to fresh testimonials, I know this topic dates back to 1937 and bores some of you but having just started riding and not the justification for a new 7,000.00 machine I will have fun tinkering with yesterdays model.

• gem

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hey DTYZ426 I hope your back is improving I have lower back problems that are improved by riding ( since they are muscular problems that pinch nerves, riding in the standing up position strengthens and straightens my core ) I know your situation is different but I often have problems simply sitting! Take care

• canadian109

Posted April 22, 2006 - 08:23 PM

i recently put the 03 450 cam in mine was easy to do took a little bit to get use to the increased low end hit a little scary at first.

• dsconstructs

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:25 AM

I also recently did this with the 03 450 cam. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Kicks over like a dream. For me it seems to have smoothed out the whole power band nicely, it may have more power down low :thumbsup: ......I just know that the power climbs more smooth throughout without the sudden hit in the mid range. The timing mark is really a non issue, the intake is timed with the timing marks and then count pins for the exhaust...simple.

• Zique

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hey DTYZ426 I hope your back is improving I have lower back problems that are improved by riding ( since they are muscular problems that pinch nerves, riding in the standing up position strengthens and straightens my core ) I know your situation is different but I often have problems simply sitting! Take care

doesw this really improve the low end? or is it just for kicking it over easier? If it improves low-end, I might consider it...where's the thread w/ the info on it?

• nimiz1

Posted April 24, 2006 - 10:57 AM

i just put one for sale on EBAY for 80$+shipping

• beasleys

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:34 PM

I saw this cam earlier this morning but it made me think twice when I saw it was coming from israel. I was not sure if it was some scam or something. What year did this cam actually come off of?

• nimiz1

Posted April 25, 2006 - 04:40 AM

it is a new yz450f cam i got 2 and mounted one on my wr400f 1998
it is one of my best modes so far.
why did you think it is a scam?

• Zique

Posted April 25, 2006 - 03:25 PM

why did you list it as a 400/426 cam if it is actually a 450 cam?

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.