'06 YZ450F vs '05 YZ250 for woods

1 reply to this topic
  • jerryls

Posted April 05, 2006 - 08:33 PM

Need a comparo. The 2006 YZ450 vs a 2006 YZ250 (2-smoke) for tight (1st & 2nd gear) single track riding. Currently ride an '04 WR450 that's set up for desert racing. Much as I enjoy my WR, its just too damn heavy on the goat trails. I love the torque of a 450, but flickability of a 250 is very appealing.

Anyone out there ridden both bikes and can give me a comparison? The claimed dry weights only shows a 9 lb difference between the two bikes, but what is it feel like in the dirt :thumbsup: ? Any input is appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Idaho_Stas

Posted April 06, 2006 - 02:36 PM

I went from an '03 YZ 250 to an '06 YZ 450f. After putting a flywheel weight and playing around with different sprocket combinations on the YZ 250, I dialed the bike in to where I had a blast on it as a woods bike.

I have primarily ridden the new bike in the desert and won't really get into the tight stuff until the snow melts in the higher elevations. I'm anticipating that I will need to do the same with the YZF (flywheel weight and sprocket changes to get a little more lugging on the low end), but overall feel the tranny and usable HP will make it a better choice in the tight stuff.

After getting used to the new bike, I honestly don't notice a big difference in weight... and the '06 suspension is light years ahead of the '03.

Good luck... :thumbsup:

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.