will new triple clamps help cornering ?

11 replies to this topic
  • shannonr1

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:15 PM

I am thinking about buying a set of rg3 23mm offset triple clamps for my 04 yz450f. Will this offset help my bike handle better? I have raised my forks 10mm in the stock triple clamps, set my sag properly, and adjusted the dampening on the forks. The bike handles a lot better now than it did with the stock setup, but it still feels heavy in the corners, and does not want to carve in loose dirt. Besides looking cool are the rg3 clamps worth the money, at a price of 499.00 i want to be happy with the results! Any suggestions! P.S.(does anyone know the stock offset of a 04 yz450f)? :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted April 06, 2006 - 06:00 AM

i believe stock is 25mm,i run emig 23mm offset on my 05 and it definately helped in tight single track,it didn't hurt high speed stability at all. you'll be able to tell the difference,but is it worth it for you :thumbsup: it was for me,the emigs are also $100 less and i've wrecked countless times;having yet to hurt them :thumbsup: go to emigracing.com

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2006 - 08:17 AM

You can check, but Emig did not have the clamp set for the '04 48mm fork when I last checked. However, Applied Racing does, or did, at least. Custom offsets for past years Yamaha models tend to be discontinued more rapidly than the standard ones.

• billyo

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:03 AM

talked to applied and they are promoting 27mm offset clamps for the new yzf. if stock is 25mm, i cant see how 27 will make the front end stick better in tight flat corners. i am thinking 23's will work better. i cant understand the reasoning behind Applied's claim. :thumbsup:
i too am looking for a little more front end bite on my 06 yz450f. i ran 20mm offsets on my crf250's, 24mm was stock. the bike had more front end traction with the decreased offset and there was no sacrifice in high speed stability....... they said a new article is coming out in next months MXA mag describing the new Applied product.
i am holding tight until i know what works. i hear too many conflicting stories.

• perrymx23

Posted April 06, 2006 - 12:53 PM

I am running the Tri-Star clamps on my 04 YZ450 and love them. Made a huge difference in handling and didn't affect straight line stability at all.
They are a 22.5 mm offset. Cost is around $450 for the clamps, upper and lower, no steering stem. Cool part is the come with different thickness risers and clamps for both 7/8 and fat bars. Also can adjust the bar positioning by loosening the handlebar clamp bolts and then slide the bars foward or back.

I found them by doing a google search for them.

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2006 - 01:48 PM

talked to applied and they are promoting 27mm offset clamps for the new yzf. if stock is 25mm, i cant see how 27 will make the front end stick better in tight flat corners. i am thinking 23's will work better. i cant understand the reasoning behind Applied's claim.

Actually, it makes more sense to me than the approach taken with the old bikes. Flat trackers and speedway bikes are set up with a lot less rake and trail than typical MX bikes, and this reduces trail. TWMX liked it, and so does this user:

http://www.thumperta...83&parentpage=3

Applied states that they conducted blind testing, and the 27's were the ones most people liked better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dolce_Grappa

Posted April 06, 2006 - 05:12 PM

I already have the standard RG3 top clamp, will it work with offset bottom? Or do i have to buy a whole new set of clamps?

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Triple clamps can only be used in sets with matching offsets. Otherwise the forks won't be parallel to the steering head.

• billyo

Posted April 07, 2006 - 05:39 AM

Actually, it makes more sense to me than the approach taken with the old bikes. Flat trackers and speedway bikes are set up with a lot less rake and trail than typical MX bikes, and this reduces trail. TWMX liked it, and so does this user:

http://www.thumperta...83&parentpage=3

Applied states that they conducted blind testing, and the 27's were the ones most people liked better.

wow, kind of like the pepsi challenge.... :thumbsup:
my friend just bought one as well. he's a die-hard honda guy and he bought this yz450. he, just like myself, would like a little more front tire traction, thus the reason for decreased offset. he was talking to RG3 and they are telling him to go the 23's......the plot thickens.
i'm confused...... since stock is 25mm, i am staying right in the middle until i hear more hard facts....or just wait and see what dubach says. he's the man...

• CRFThumper

Posted April 07, 2006 - 05:47 AM

I am running the Tri-Star clamps on my 04 YZ450 and love them. Made a huge difference in handling and didn't affect straight line stability at all.
They are a 22.5 mm offset. Cost is around $450 for the clamps, upper and lower, no steering stem. Cool part is the come with different thickness risers and clamps for both 7/8 and fat bars. Also can adjust the bar positioning by loosening the handlebar clamp bolts and then slide the bars foward or back.

I found them by doing a google search for them.

We run the tri-stars as well!Great clamps and a nice guy to boot!You can get them with the stem and bearings already pressed on for not much more money. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:12 AM

Just remember that you cannot compare the earlier, steel frame YZ450, or anything that worked on them, to the '06. The two bikes already handle just about as differently as two bikes can as they are.

• saccityfire

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:55 PM

look on mxa's website for 06 YZ450F test. It has some great tips for handling improvement.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.