Uncorked, unleashed and UNREAL!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • Thumpin650

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Well, after weeks of tearing it apart and building it back up...it was ALL worth it.

A little background...Bought the 94 XR650L last October...mostly to use it on an upcoming ride to the Arctic circle (not the hamburger joint) this summer, but mostly because a big thumper dual sport is the PERFECT bike for NW Montana. In stock condition, as most of you know, its a yawner...but after following the uncorking advice...its a whole different shade of RED!!!

I did Daves carb mods...took all the weight off it...standard desmog, uncork and weight reduction. Spooned on a set of Pirelli MT90 Scorpion AT's, installed the Supertrapp ISD2 quiet (with 8 discs)and after waiting a week for the proper jetting...after reaming out my 50 pilot and 152 main and NOT having any success. I installed a 55 pilot/155 main..(I am at 2900') and took er out...

As Will Primos would say...DANG IT MAN!!! What a completely different bike. No more lean pop on decel, (well, maybe just a little), 1st gear power wheelie, 2nd gear wheelie on a hard shift...with NO input from me at all. The new tires stick like glue (BIG difference over the NON dot knobs that were on it) I think the jetting is spot on for my altitude and pipe but I will play with the discs a little just cause. I am SO pleased with the bike! It only has 1400 miles on it so it is still plenty strong, pobobly at its peak for horsepower as far as engine condition go's.

A BIG thank you for all the advice on setup/modifications. I will continue to update as I tinker. I have a 4.7 Clarke in the garage with a 6 gallon Acerbis on the way, (its on BO) and I will decide what I like as far as looks go when it gets here. I also have a set of Maxxis 6006's I will be testing and I will report on how both tires work out.

I would like to replace that wooooozy orange seat cover with a newer dark red version if anyone has recovered theirs and wants to get rid of a stock cover. Oh and the Acerbis dual sport mirrors give me a GREAT view of my elbos and nothing more!

If you have not uncorked your XR yet, RUN, dont walk, to your garage and get BUSY!!!!

Mike
Kalispell, MT :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:34 PM

Thats whats nice about those supertrapps ,you can tamper with them. I have the 4gl. clark that came with the bike wish it were at least a 4.7. I didn't know they did a 6gl for the L?

• Jayzonk

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:53 PM

How does it sound??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpin650

Posted April 06, 2006 - 02:54 PM

Acerbis makes the 6 gallon, and as far as I know it fits the L. I need to call them today to double confirm! And the bike sounds great, I went to 10 discs in this afternoon, still raining tho so cant report any diff...bummer

• bronnco79

Posted May 21, 2006 - 10:39 AM

how does the supertrapp sound

• Thumpin650

Posted June 01, 2006 - 08:29 AM

I like the sound of the trap. One of my buddies has the WB pipe and header and another the XR's only full system. Mine sounds deeper and throatier while thiers sound raspier and higher pitched, almost more muffled....personal preference I guess.

Whats cooler and better about MY bike is.....its MY bike!

Did go up on the main jet after a 180 mile ride thru lower elevations in cool, wet air...too lean on the main jet. Went up to 58/158...maybe a little fat on the pilot with the stock head pipes...might go back to the 55 pilot.

The one with the XR's only full system, I redid his jetting from STOCK to the 58/158 and he is amazed at the difference...Will be uncorking and rejetting the one with the WB system tonite...will try 58/158 on his and see how that go's

3 weeks until I head north for 3000 miles...Artic Ocean/Beaufort Sea...here we come!

• Adammoto

Posted June 03, 2006 - 08:43 AM

I have a '97 XR600 which I want to uncork- where is the best place to find instructions to do this?

Am also interested to hear about your Alaska ride- that sounds like a freakin' fantasy ride- what is the route like- how much off road, where did you find your route, etc???

Keep the rubber side down

Adammoto

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.