Scotts Oil Filter Cleaning

10 replies to this topic
  • Unkle_Moose

Posted October 09, 2001 - 07:04 PM

Just wondering how everyone is cleaning their stainless steel filters, is their a better way then hot water and dish soap.

Ride Often & Ride Safe

• Tennessee_Thumper

Posted October 09, 2001 - 10:31 PM

I've had good luck with contact cleaner.

• MX_Tuner

Posted October 10, 2001 - 01:20 PM

Same way you clean the stock filter. I use aerosol brake cleaner. I'm still on my original '98 filter.

------------------
MX Tuner

• Ga426owner

Posted October 10, 2001 - 03:15 PM

Mark, aerosol brake cleaner on a air filter?
Interesting, I have not tried this. Kerosene has worked for me with the same longivity results.
On the Scotts, I use Contact or Brake cleaner & wash out with hot H2O.

• MX_Tuner

Posted October 11, 2001 - 01:35 PM

Oil filters, Dave. I *have* used brake cleaner on an air filter in a pinch, but I'm leery of what it'll do to the foam after time.

------------------
MX Tuner

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Unkle_Moose

Posted October 16, 2001 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

• BlueThunder

Posted October 16, 2001 - 06:53 PM

Uncle Moose....did that thing really cost $70? Tell me the filter changes your oil for you too? Wowee they're really proud of those.

------------------
Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin(plus everythhing else cool that Ty offers), Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

• Unkle_Moose

Posted October 16, 2001 - 07:05 PM

Yes BlueThunder it cost $70 but I don't have to replace it. Paper filters I used to replace every oil change, this will save me money in the long run.

• MX_Tuner

Posted October 17, 2001 - 02:27 PM

Uncle Moose, I'm still on my original '98 oil filter. You don't need to replace the stock filter.

------------------
MX Tuner

• MS

Posted October 17, 2001 - 02:46 PM

Unkle Moosey: I too clean my stock filter with contact cleaner, brake cleaner, then give it a good drying out with low pressure air from the inside. Im still using my stock filter with my 98 as well. no rips or tears so far...

mS

• Unkle_Moose

Posted October 17, 2001 - 06:53 PM

Hey you guys that are still using your stock paper oil filter Posted Image ARE NUTS Posted Image I could never take that chance with an oil filter. Every other ride or 100 miles change oil and clean filter. Might not do much else to the bike, but oil & filter yes.
Ride Often & Ride Safe

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.