WR450 vs. DRZ 400E

33 replies to this topic
  • JamesD

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:54 AM

I don't think you can compare the engine technology or the suspension of the DRZ to the WR at all. If you were going to bring the DRZ up to par with the WR in these categories you would have to spend a lot more than a grand to bring it even close. Then to shave some weight you are talking mo' money. Now if you wanted to ride a bike mostly on the street then yes the DRZ is probably a better choice, but who wants to ride themselves to sleep on the street when you can rip up hills on a WR. :thumbsup:

After reading his post again... he owns a KLX (DRZ). If he sells it to get a WR he'll loose a big chunk of money.

He should look at the Dirt Rider Magazine bike buildoff for ideas on mods (within reason... geeze... they went nuts). Link
Then ask the guys that did the suspension and power mods what they would do if their budget were about $2500 and he wanted a WR450 beater. I'm guessing that's what the minimum difference in cost would be after selling the KLX and buying a WR. :thumbsup:
The nice thing about the mods is that the cost can be spread out. But if it costs too much to get something more like or better than the WR... get the WR.

• DezRaCeR249

Posted April 08, 2006 - 10:16 AM

the drz400 has a great engine and power, but it is on the heavy side for riding tighter trails. The wr 450 is a great bike because it doesn't feel to havy and has great power also. The suspension setup on the wr is way better than the drz. Get the WR!

• internetguy

Posted April 08, 2006 - 12:34 PM

I have a WR450 and am open about my bias on this machine- it's a superb bike in every way for off road. I can't imagine why folks worry about it for single track- the thing is unbelievably nimble. Not like a 125 or 250, but then not every inch of single track is super tight requiring clutch management.

I ride single track on it and it's a blast. Not for a nano have I ever thought while riding single track "man this thing is a tank". Too busy grinning and gunning it. Never even said that on my XR600 and that thing IS a tank by comparison.

The DRZ is a fine machine, no qualm about it; it's a bit of apples and oranges comparison between the two. The WR is much more of a harder edged tool.

I sure as heck enjoy mine- total grins and giggles even firing it up in the garage. Seriously nifty bike.

Cheers-

Neil.

• Bamster

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:39 PM

but then not every inch of single track is super tight requiring clutch management.

You don't ride around these parts, do yeah?

• chino bandito

Posted April 11, 2006 - 10:01 PM

The main reasons I have considered going to the WR are: #1 suspension, the KLX is spongy, and #2 weight, The KLX feels like a tank. I am happy with it's speed/power since I prefer to ride single track and don't race. I'm not sure the WR is for me if I'll be hanging on for dear life regularly. That's one reason I've considered a 250 since it would be even lighter and I don't need the raw power of a 450 most of the time.

I have already put some upgrades into my KLX but none on the suspension and exhaust. If I bought a WR I'd like to get a new one but the cost diff. is huge (like buying another used DRZ) That will hold me back for awhile.

• RC81

Posted April 11, 2006 - 10:28 PM

The main reasons I have considered going to the WR are: #1 suspension, the KLX is spongy, and #2 weight, The KLX feels like a tank. I am happy with it's speed/power since I prefer to ride single track and don't race. I'm not sure the WR is for me if I'll be hanging on for dear life regularly. That's one reason I've considered a 250 since it would be even lighter and I don't need the raw power of a 450 most of the time.

I have already put some upgrades into my KLX but none on the suspension and exhaust. If I bought a WR I'd like to get a new one but the cost diff. is huge (like buying another used DRZ) That will hold me back for awhile.

You wont be hanging on for dear like, there not that powerful. Picture your DRZ a bit lighter, better suspended and with around ten more hp. Thats the WR. Very ridable even in the 450 form.

• JCORMI

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:24 AM

I replaced the bars, grips and all sorts of stuff on my WR before I even rode it. Why would it be any worse to do that do a DRZ? And you aren't counting costs of add ons to make the WR more street worthy like the DRZ.
I wish my WR had come with the speedo/computer like the new ones.
A key would be nice too.

For $1000+ you can make a lot of mods to a DRZ.

What are you talking about? Why would you have to spend money to make the wr more street worthy like the drz, I don't think the drz400e is any more street worthy than the wr, and if it is why would you want to make it more like that? Why would you replace the stock bars on your wr when it comes with perfectly fine renthals? And you said you changed the bars and grips, ewwww wow what did you pay 15$ for grips and a maximum of 100$ for bars. I am talking engine and SUSPENSION as well as all the little shit like bars and exhaust. Oh yeah, how about the weight difference?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:36 AM

Upgrading the suspension to new springs/valves isn't too expensive when compared to getting a new bike. Better suspension will actually make it easier to be fast and make you more comfortable at any speed. That wallowing feeling will make a heavy bike feel even heavier.
Some of the aftermarket pipes not only add power but will drop a few lbs up high enough that it helps a little as well.

I won't kid you. The WR can be fast enough to scare you. But don't think of it like a 2 stroke. It has a managable power band that an intermediate rider should be able to handle.
However, some people are more comfortable on a smaller bore bike. Those 250s are pretty flickable... not a term I've ever used for my WR400.

• Bamster

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:37 AM

That's one reason I've considered a 250 since it would be even lighter and I don't need the raw power of a 450 most of the time.

You would be very happy with the WR 250.
90% of where I ride I am am faster on the 250 than the big bore and I don't get as tired.

• BeeDub

Posted April 12, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Mine has the free mods done and I can still ride it like a grandma if I want to just cruise. That's what I've liked about the bike, and when I want to open it up, it really will, but it's not gonna happen by accident. If you know you're never gonna want to see all the power it has, don't do any of the mods. My buddy just got an '06 and it seemed pretty tame with no adjustments made.

• DezRaCeR249

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:55 AM

90% of where I ride I am am faster on the 250 than the big bore and I don't get as tired.

yes if ur a begginer, you will want the 250 because the 450 might be a little tiring at sometimes. But if you have ridden before and are desent rider, go with the 450, lots more horsepower

• chino bandito

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:45 PM

Just got my taxes done. I owe $5000. Looks like the WR is going to have to wait a while. I'll have to get a loan to pay the taxes!

I'm going to try to test ride a 250 in the meantime.

• BeeDub

Posted April 13, 2006 - 07:22 AM

I think I disagree. I've never ridden a 250f, but I've heard it likes to be ridden like a 125. If that's true, you have to pretty much keep the revs up, right? A WR 450 can be ridden in any range and be happy, from my experience with my bike. Yes, you can get tired if you're all over the throttle, but that only happens when you want it to unless you are completely out of control. In which case, I think you should start with a pit bike. :thumbsup:

• Bamster

Posted April 13, 2006 - 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamster

yes if ur a begginer, you will want the 250 because the 450 might be a little tiring at sometimes. But if you have ridden before and are desent rider, go with the 450, lots more horsepower

He did say single track.
We don't all ride in wide open spaces,which to me I find boring.
I like a more challenging technical trail and the WR 250 is better suited.
Then again if I was buying new I would opt for the KTK 300 XCW or a year old
300 exc.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.