Big boy suspension setup

5 replies to this topic
  • Old_Yeller

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:37 AM

What are you big guys (275+) running on your suspension?

I was going to get a Race Tech 6.4kg for the rear but it seems like there is no front spring close to what they calculate I need. I guess I would just get the heaviest spring they make.

Do I have to revalve too?

Should I change the weight of oil in the front shock?

The rear spring seams fairly easy to change, how hard are the front springs to change?

I just bought a house so I'm strapped for cash. What changes would give me the most bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance!

• Captain Bob

Posted April 05, 2006 - 08:44 AM

I am another big guy weighing in at 250 -260. I have a 6.4 rear spring and .48 springs in the forks. My bike was set up for MX so I also had to revalve forks and shock. This made a serious difference! I am now able to set sag properly and the "hit" on sharp bumps is much softer. Before making these changes the bike was difficult. I would get serious arm pump and was not able to keep up with folks because I was bouncing all over the place.

You definitely need new springs. I do not know however, if revalving is required. It really depends on how the suspension was set up before you got the bike.

Hope this helps.

Bob

• longie

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:03 AM

Call Too-Tech suspension in Torrance,Ca. He can get very heavy springs and has worked with BIG riders....310 378 3771

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDrooster

Posted April 05, 2006 - 12:03 PM

Matt at Active ride can get you springs. www.active-ride.com. He's a great guy, and can revalve for you as well. -Jerry

• bg10459

Posted April 05, 2006 - 04:54 PM

I'm 6-5, 270 and I have a racetech 6.4 in the rear, but they didn't have anything stiffer than a .48 for the forks. I wound up getting .50 fork springs from MX-Tech for less than Racetech wanted.
I thought MX-Tech advertised on TT because that's how I found them, but I can't find them now :thumbsup:.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:04 PM

Look up Cannon springs under sponsors right here on TT. My buddy got his front springs(.52) from them and got a Race Tech 6.4 rear and had a Race Tech dealer do gold valves and full front and rear setup. Very nice stuff.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.