426 cam timing

8 replies to this topic
  • txthumper

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:36 PM

i picked up a 01 yz426 today, went to check the valves, and found 14 pins between cams, aint it supposed to be 12?

• mulisha00

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Nope 14 is right.

• txthumper

Posted April 05, 2006 - 08:49 AM

well i did a search, and i keep coming up with 12 pins for yz timing and 13 for wr timing, it has stock cams in it, 2001 yz426...now i dont know whats right, 12 or 14

• mulisha00

Posted April 05, 2006 - 09:13 AM

well I know that its 14 if you do the 450 cam mod. I looked in the service manual and couldn't find anything other than the marks on the cam. If you look straight on from the gears you should have both the marks on the cam lined up with the surface of the cylinder head. Check that and let us know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:37 AM

If you are using the original, manual decompression, 426 cams, the first thing to do is stop counting pins between cams. That isn't how it's done.

The sprockets will each have three punch marks labeled with an I, an E, and another with no label in between them. Use the I mark for the intake, the E mark for the exhaust, and forget about the number of pins between the two cams unless you are trying to re-time a YZ as a WR, a WR as a YZ, or using a YZ450 cam to add auto decompression.

Need a Manual?

• txthumper

Posted April 05, 2006 - 12:32 PM

ok, thanks Greyracer, it will be a few days before i get it back together, had to order parts

• havens151

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:52 PM

So what if you are using an auto decompression?

• GONE1445

Posted May 15, 2006 - 08:11 PM

what do you mean pins between the cams?? never heard that before

• 5valve

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:05 AM

for 400 and 426 only with stock cams

That is a rather late reply, but better late than never.
Using stock cams, you have at least 3 options of timing.
12, 13 and 14 pins between upper punch marks on the cams, but make sure that the rotor is always lined up correctly.
13 is by all means WR timing and it will line up left punch mark on the exhaust cam and right punch mark on the inlet cam with the head surface.
12 and 14 will only line up inlet cam's right punch mark with head surface, exhaust cam will be tillted back or forth, considering which setup you choose.

I to used 14 pins between marks and can say that bike starts and runs normally, but I messed up when putting together...14 pins was not my wish to use.
Went back to 13 and in comparison, have more bottom and the same mid and up power, so 14 is workable but doesnt do anything better in power curve.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.