Pro Tapers

17 replies to this topic
  • aftershock

Posted November 19, 2000 - 07:10 PM

Has anybody heard about Pro Taper universal Handlebar mounts. they mount directly to the stock triple clamp. Mounts and Pro Tapers will cost about $160.00 . This set-up raises handle bars which is just what i'm looking
for. Great Forum guys.

00wr400

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 20, 2000 - 08:45 AM

The problem with the universal pro-taper mounts is that as the bars are raised they are also moved back/closer to the rider. Thumper racing has bar risers that will adapt your bike to Pro-tapers & move the bars forward & up. I can email you pics of my set-up if you'd like. I run the Applied Racing tc & thumper racing +1.5" bar risers w/Pro-tapers & Scotts damper

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 20, 2000 - 09:36 AM

Brian, I have the exact same setup except for the Scotts dampner. Right now Im using the WER, but Im thinking of changing in the near future. Could you send me a pic? I was wondering how close the dampner mounts in between the risers. Thanks!
darinh@cleanlink.net

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• Bryan Bosch

Posted November 20, 2000 - 07:22 PM

I just installed a set of Pro tapers and used the yz 426 triple clamp. This set-up not only raised the bars up, but the clamp moved the bars 10mm forward. Works great!

• aftershock

Posted November 20, 2000 - 07:43 PM

Brian[/B][/QUOTE]

Brian, Thanks for the reply. Your setup sounds like just what i'm looking for. I am 6'4" and very cramped with the stock setup.

aftshock@dedot.com

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 21, 2000 - 04:35 PM

I'll try & take the pictures tonight & post tomorrow.

Brian

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 22, 2000 - 09:58 AM

Here is a pic of my bike set-up. I run the Applied Racing +10mm forward triple clamp, Thumper Racing +1.5" forward/up bar risers, Pro-Taper Desert Hi bars, Scotts Damper w/universal mount, IMS YZ tank/seat & Guts Tall (soft) foam & cover.

I'm 6'4", 250#, 36" inseam - this set-up works great for me.

http://albums.photop...0034&p=33745544

more pics @
http://albums.photop...1725&a=10090034

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Meadows (edited 11-22-2000).]

• jlm400

Posted November 22, 2000 - 10:31 PM

test

• aftershock

Posted November 22, 2000 - 06:28 PM

Brian Great pics. (nice legs). How does your WR handle in tight woods or switch backs. where did you get your triple clamp.

Doug

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 27, 2000 - 08:33 AM

I'm probably not the most objective person about how well the bike handles in the woods - I've owned an '88 XR600, '90 KX500 & now the '99 WR400. None of which are known for their knife edge handling :)

Now that the credentials have been explained - I think it handles pretty good in the tight stuff. The IMS tank/seat & the bars being so far forward let me get even more of my significant mass over the front end.

The triple clamp is an Applied Racing piece & the bar mounts are from Thumper Racing.

I shaved the left leg for the pics - you didn't notice the hair on the thigh did you?

Brian

• aftershock

Posted November 27, 2000 - 06:20 PM

Brian, didn't notice the hair. Did notice the razor nick :)

• Scott_F

Posted November 27, 2000 - 06:49 PM

Brian, does this setup allow the fork caps to be removed without affecting the bars? That would come in handy for spring and oil height changes.

How much did the risers cost?

• brurag

Posted November 27, 2000 - 07:13 PM

Can you purchase from Thumper Racing online?

------------------
Dan in Washington
2000 WR400F

• JB 06

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:27 PM

I'm a newbie here but had a question for the rest of the folk out there that could send some thoughts :) I just ordered tires for my 06 crf 250r . Was wanting to go with maxxis desert up front and back but the back was on back order for ever now so I decided to go with the michelin ac10 in the back and desert it up front seems how a lot of people were saying the ac10 front is pretty narrow:) any thoughts... Is this a good combo I went with? I live in phoenix and ride mainly desert..thnx

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 15, 2016 - 05:06 AM

I'm a newbie here but had a question for the rest of the folk out there that could send some thoughts :) I just ordered tires for my 06 crf 250r . Was wanting to go with maxxis desert up front and back but the back was on back order for ever now so I decided to go with the michelin ac10 in the back and desert it up front seems how a lot of people were saying the ac10 front is pretty narrow:) any thoughts... Is this a good combo I went with? I live in phoenix and ride mainly desert..thnx

Wrong brand forum

Wrong model forum

Don't piggy back on other peoples 16 year old theads

Tires have sizes

You can order 21-80, 90. or 100/100 front tire profile, regardless of model, with most tires

• toten

Posted June 15, 2016 - 05:49 AM

Wow, bumping an unrelated 16 year old thread... and if he already ordered the tires I doubt feedback will really matter.

• JB 06

Posted June 15, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback:) called up and changed my order to the ac10 front and back.. Hopefully they hold up and I like:)

• Chaconne

Posted June 15, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback:) called up and changed my order to the ac10 front and back.. Hopefully they hold up and I like:)

Cool. Hey when you get sick and tired of replacing the valves in your 2006 crf and sell it to buy a Yam YZ or WR, come on back. :ride:  We're not a snotty club like the KTM girls!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.