YZF 450 Top End Rebuild

6 replies to this topic
  • bbgun9x

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:01 PM

I just recently rebuilt the top end on my '03 YZF 450. I started up for the first time and let it warm up for 3-5 minutes. I then took it for a ride in first gear and after like 2 minutes in died. I then started it up and let it idle sitting still and it idles fine. I then rode it around for 3-4 minutes in first and second gear and it died again. It's like it's locking up or something. It idles fine on the stand, but when I'm riding it around it keeps shutting off. Any ideas???? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

• Butta

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Starving for fuel?? How long has the carb been sitting? When was the last time it was cleaned? I'd start there...

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Sticking float hinge, blocked gas tank vent or in-line vent valve, maybe. The in-line valve could be inverted. Just because you haven't had the hose off the cap doesn't mean it's right. I know someone who occasionally turns them over for fun. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bbgun9x

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:13 AM

I installed one of those anodized MX plus gas tank vent caps over the winter. The one with the tubing that connects to the gas cap and then the aluminum cap on the top that lets air through. Could this be the problem?? I can get air through, but not much.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:51 AM

Air only has to enter as fast as the fuel leaves.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Air only has to enter as fast as the fuel leaves.

What a wierd concept.

If we were in Arkansas drinking a 12 pack, I'd suggest he ride around with the cap off and see if that help er out.

Being that we aren't....maybe he ought to ride around with it loose with the stock cap on.

Why do people buy metal gas caps, BTW?

• bbgun9x

Posted April 05, 2006 - 12:04 PM

Not a metal gas cap. It's an aluminum one way vent on top of the tube, which is attached to the stock gas cap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.