2001 650L Power

4 replies to this topic
  • Murman NT

Posted April 04, 2006 - 03:12 PM

I just got my hands on a 01 650L. I've been looking for a while, but used big DP are hard to come by here. I hadn't ridden anything like it before (had ATV's, crotch rockets and cruisers) and I don't know how much power I should expect. It seems to have lots of snot, but I want to be sure.

My compression gauge (and other gear) is 8500 Kms away. I'm 215 lbs. Highway speed is fine and it runs smoothly. Usual noise under "engine braking"?

Without buying new tools, how about this as a simple measure. Should it lift the front tire easily, or just barely, in 2nd gear throttle only? Or is there a better "standard" measure?

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted April 04, 2006 - 04:53 PM

Congrats on the new bike. If your bike is bone stock with 15-45 gearing and its picking the front wheel up in second gear with just the throttle, you are doing good. My bike has been jetted and uncorked with a 15-45 gearing and it will do well to lift the front wheel in second gear with just the throttle. I have a 14 tooth front sprocket that I put on when I what to do some off road. With the 14 tooth sprocket it will carry the front wheel in second gear easily, but you will lose some top end speed. Well I hope this helped and good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Murman NT

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:23 AM

I haven't counted teeth, but the guy I got it from used it as summer transport more than a trail bike, so my guess is, it's stock tooth count (tho he did put on new titanium sprocket and chain last summer). I can only get a power wheelie in 2nd, by throwing my giant ass backward and pinning the throttle, so I take that to be a good sign. Thanks for the info. Appreciate any other thoughts. (Gotta get a spec's manual too.)

The back tire is a mostly street job, and is due anyway, so that's my next research focus. The D606 was reccomended, and looks capable.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:29 AM

I am runnin the Dunlop 606's, just installed them and they are okay in the dirt (waty better than stock) and sing a bit on the road. Uncorked I can get blip the gas in 2nd front end lofts all day long.

2005 XR650L, Dunlop 606's, White Brothers E2 slip on, DJ 165 main, 55 pilot, DJ Spring and needle with e-clip in #3 position, 2/14 turns out on air / fuel screw. Uni Air Filter, Snorkle removed, IMS smog block off kit. Baja Designs skid plate, Acerbis front disk brake guard and fork gurads, XR's only temp gage (runs at about 200 degrees - with the elephant ears removed and 55-60 degress outside air temp)

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 06, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Even with a bunch of mods, I can just get the front up in second but she's got enough to roll over geared at 15/45.

The reason you can only get it up in second on these bikes is that they are geared so much higher than any strictly dirt bike. 2nd gear on an L tops out higher than a drz400 does in 3rd.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.