Rear wheel twitching side to side under power?

4 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted April 04, 2006 - 12:34 PM

I road through some damp sand over the weekend and noticed the following. The trail that my rear tire left was "zig zagging". It looked like a snake trail. It wasn't a straight line.
This was on fairly smooth sand, 5 gear under power, on the pegs. I don't notice anything while riding, I was just surprised at this path.
What causes this? Is this a common Xr650 trait?

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 04, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Check your rear wheel bearings, and the bushings. For a while, my rear end would make this chattering if I applied the brakes on a trail, and I couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time.

One day I decided to go check my bearings, and I could move the tire back and forth about a half inch; not good. When I went to replace them, noticed that the bushings were pretty worn too; the soft aluminum doesn't hold up. One of the sites on here talks about how to fix the bushings so you don't go through a million sets of bearings.

If thats not it, check your spokes; mine becoming loose every once and while too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:41 AM

Yep, could be the wheel bearings, swingarm bushings, loose spokes, wheel out of true, rear wheel not straight (adjusters), or even a funny wear pattern on the knobs.

Dave

• slowxr

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:14 AM

I put the bike up on the stand and pushed and pulled the tire/swingarm. Is this enough to tell if there is a bearing/bushing out of spec?
It all seemed tight.
Also, the tire appears true. I ran the bike on the stand the wheel appears to spin straight.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:20 AM

it should have no side to side play at all.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.