YFZ450 quads are pretty quick...

11 replies to this topic
  • wickedsprint

Posted April 04, 2006 - 11:36 AM

I was out riding at one of the local places and some guys had a YFZ450 quad with a GYTR exhaust, pretty loud, asked if I wanted to race them on a section of paved road, first guy weighed the same as me and I put a few lengths on it through 70 ish, the second guy weighed about a 120 and knew how to launch the thing, we were basically even in the first 2 gears and then I would start pulling away. I was surprised that a quad is that quick.

• HawkGT

Posted April 04, 2006 - 04:10 PM

They are amazing quads. After I rode a nicely tuned YFZ450 my 400EX (some mods) feels about 50% slower than it felt previously.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I am suprized you did not beet him by more actually. Are you riding a L? A yz450f bike is almost dead even with the acceleration of my uncorked 650r with me pulling away at around 65-75mph by a bike or so. It was stock however. I know the quad weighs 130 pds more than the bike and has a little less horsepower than the bike. Although the atv may have a little more tourqe. The point is the bike is so so much faster. Then again rider weight makes a big diffrence so there could be some variance that way.

• wickedsprint

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:23 PM

I am riding an R thanks for asking :thumbsup:, Both of us got pretty decent launches, the 650R is not that much faster than the quad to 60mph as the race pointed out, I could likely still have some dialing in to do with the Edelbrock plus I still want to cut out the airbox exterior a bit to let it breathe some more. I think part of the issue was the kids weight, he weighed 120 tops and I am about 160, when I raced the other guy who was my size the difference was dramatic.

• dukeryder

Posted April 04, 2006 - 11:41 PM

How's it compare to a Banshee?

The Banshee is the only Quad I've ridden that I didn't find boring, I've ridden Blasters (slo) 400ex (okay), 350x 3wheeler (not too slow), and a Recon (waaaay too slow), The Banshee was like :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , definetly awesome speed, but bikes are still where it's at.

• XR 650

Posted April 05, 2006 - 01:15 AM

My raptor 660 accelerates twice as hard as my 650l. But like my brother reminds me, that the raptor could not run 70 mph for long. The 650l motor was designed for dependability, longevity which usually means slow revving, unlike the yfz 450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 05, 2006 - 02:50 AM

My "R" smokes even the new 700 Fuel Injected Raptor or any Banshee. You definitely need to tune that thing or work on your starts more. He is getting about 4 times the traction when you start though.

• pigryder

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:17 AM

Hey guys my buddy rides a TRX450R and my R can smoke that thing!

• scag52

Posted April 05, 2006 - 06:10 AM

My raptor 660 accelerates twice as hard as my 650l. But like my brother reminds me, that the raptor could not run 70 mph for long. The 650l motor was designed for dependability, longevity which usually means slow revving, unlike the yfz 450.

Your brother also wants to remind you that your (brp) was also designed to ride behind my drz400 :thumbsup:

I have a 04 yfz450 and my friend just bought the 06 model and what a difference there is ! That thing is way faster than my 04. Very nice quad ! :thumbsup:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted April 05, 2006 - 04:27 PM

Your brother also wants to remind you that your (brp) was also designed to ride behind my drz400 :thumbsup:

I have a 04 yfz450 and my friend just bought the 06 model and what a difference there is ! That thing is way faster than my 04. Very nice quad ! :thumbsup:

Are you sure that your 04 does not have lots of run time and a wore out engine? Or the valves need adjustment. It just seems that i have followed them and have not seen any major performance gains. And you can be sure, yamaha tells every fine detail they improve. I Could be worng to.

• scag52

Posted April 05, 2006 - 04:56 PM

You know, I have the gytr pipe, jet kit, and k&n filter. Very few hours thanks to overtime at the plant. :thumbsup: The only difference is he runs a fatboy 4 exhaust with the airbox lid off, 10 more cc's . Other than that there not much different. I am going to lose the lid and rejet and see if that makes it better.The same guy also has a 04. He bought a new one so he could ride with his kid. Right away he said ,You got to ride this thing. I can honestly say It is a lot faster. Who knows? :thumbsup:

• drtlvr

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:07 PM

my brother has a yzf 450 and my ds650 shuts that thing down like nothing,I am not afraid to hold that thing wide open for a long distance,it's about as reliable as my xr,I don't know anyone with a r model here in wisconsin,to hard to get anything plated here.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.