70 + Mph

12 replies to this topic
  • al_piv

Posted April 04, 2006 - 05:44 AM

I re-geared my BRP to 15/45 and put a new chain on--
Went for a ride and about 50 miles into it I was going between dirt roads on two lanes at about 70 and it felt as if it was slipping----

Clutch is good -- I figure it is just the chain stretching...

Any clues ?

• goblin127

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:25 AM

Hope it was just the rearwheel sliping. I don't think the chain stretch theory is a possible culprit.

• TimBrp

Posted April 04, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Did it feel like it was slipping when you hit the dirt? If so, tire spin in the culprit...

• needsprayer

Posted April 04, 2006 - 04:26 PM

Knobbies at 70 mph on asphalt could feel that way. How did they feel in the dirt at 70? :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:43 PM

The clutch is one of the weak points of our bikes. It's not super weak but it is weak. I had one go in less than 2000 miles. It started just like you described. The engine rev seemed faster than the acceleration. It did not really feel like wheel spin. I know what wheel spin feels like and believe you do to which is why this bothered you. I wouldn't be surprised if your clutch starts slipping more and more. Back off on your clutch lever cable, make sure it's not too tight. You also might consider adding another clutch plate to the bottom of the stack. This is a fix suggested on the Pig Pen web site and also by Scott Summers. :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted April 05, 2006 - 02:55 AM

Here's my fix:

Get HD springs(XR's only makes a nice set). 4 measily stock springs are NOT enough unless you strictly desert ride.
Get a Hinson clutch basket
Get a Barnett dirt digger clutch kit(minus the springs)

You'll be set. I've got 2500 miles on this setup and virtually minimal wear on the plates. Springs are still well w/in spec also. I didn't personally like the Pig Pen mod. Made my clutch very grabby, which isn't all that bad in the dirt but I ride tar sometimes to get to the trails and stop lights/signs were a bitch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • al_piv

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:10 AM

Knobbies at 70 mph on asphalt could feel that way. How did they feel in the dirt at 70? :thumbsup:

Seems fine -- dirt roads and unmaintained roads @ 70--Standing!!!! :thumbsup: :confused:
The thing rocks..
I only feel it on pavement---
I have ordered new bearings for both the front and rear -- and Have adjusted the chain --
I will double check the clutch -- yet in first gear with engine off and clutch pulled in it rolls just fine --no drag

• creeky

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:20 AM

The clutch is probably the culprit, do a check by getting the bike up to about 40-50 mph in top gear, then pull in the clutch, rev the engine and drop the clutch lever, you will be able to tell immediately if the clutch is slipping.

• jim1234

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:57 AM

or try 3rd gear at a stop . Try to take off , you'll be able to tell if the clutch is slipping. This puts a high load on the clutch.

• al_piv

Posted April 05, 2006 - 03:28 PM

I did the 3rd/4th gear start off the other day -- seems fine --
Many thanks for the input.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 06, 2006 - 08:48 AM

I did the 3rd/4th gear start off the other day -- seems fine --
Many thanks for the input.

You can start off in 4th? At 14/45 the only way I can start in 4th is with EXTREME abuse to the clutch. 3rd is even quite the challenge let alone 4th.

• al_piv

Posted April 06, 2006 - 03:16 PM

so, i guess it's not the clutch

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 06, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Like creeky said:

The clutch is probably the culprit, do a check by getting the bike up to about 40-50 mph in top gear, then pull in the clutch, rev the engine and drop the clutch lever, you will be able to tell immediately if the clutch is slipping.

If it is slipping, you will know because it wont grab instantly, it will take a second or 2.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.