YZ tank ???

11 replies to this topic
  • Punisher660

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Before you flame me, I tried to search - the feature is temp. disabled.

What year YZ tank fits the 04 WR450 -
I rode the 05 WR this weekend, and I can' believe the difference the new tank made. It felt like a MX bike.

Also, does anyone know if the 05 tank would fit the 04 -

I'm sure the questions have already been answered, but with no search feature I can't find them.

Thanks guys.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 03, 2006 - 08:01 PM

I dont know about the 05 tank, but I think so. You just have to go to YZ shrouds.

• CampCounty4Fifty

Posted April 04, 2006 - 12:22 PM

I have looked and am unable to find it. :thumbsup:

What is the capacity of a Stock gas tank for '02 YZ 426F ?

• rich1167

Posted April 04, 2006 - 12:28 PM

I have an 05 I just put a larger aftermarket tank on. Most guys are doing this. The stocker is only 2.1 gal. I may be interested in selling my stock tank. I haven't rode it yet with the new tank so I am not for sure on selling it.

• Ripmeister

Posted April 04, 2006 - 01:05 PM

I have looked and am unable to find it. :thumbsup:

What is the capacity of a Stock gas tank for '02 YZ 426F ?

This isn't your question, but IMS's tank is 3.3 gal. I just bought one on Ebay (NIB, $199, free shipping, white).

• Punisher660

Posted April 04, 2006 - 01:59 PM

I have an 05 I just put a larger aftermarket tank on. Most guys are doing this. The stocker is only 2.1 gal. I may be interested in selling my stock tank. I haven't rode it yet with the new tank so I am not for sure on selling it.

PMed you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted April 04, 2006 - 02:44 PM

You may have to change the seat for the '05 tank but I'm not sure. I'm running a YZ tank on my '04 with a YZ seat. Not sure what year it is but most likely an '03 or '04. To use the YZ seat you have to cut the hook off the front of the seat base (the one that hooks under the frame at the base of the tank) and relieve the area around the battery. The YZ only holds 1.85 gals (~45 - 50 miles) but it is way nice to ride.

• Punisher660

Posted April 04, 2006 - 09:31 PM

What do you mean 'relieve' the battery area?

• INJURY_69

Posted April 04, 2006 - 09:46 PM

YZF's 03'-'05 will work, don't think you need any mods.

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 05, 2006 - 06:23 AM

What do you mean 'relieve' the battery area?

I guess I didn't describe that too well. Basically the WR uses the two tabs on the subframe to hold the seat down. The YZ seat doesn't have those but it does have some raised pads that sit on the subframe in that area so you need to remove those bumps in order to get the seat to sit down tight. I used a rotozip. In the end the seat will only be held on by the post on the fuel tank and the two bolts at the rear but that seems to be more than adequate. Depending on if the seat pan is stock or aftermarket you may have to remove some material from the pan right above where the battery sits as well.

• CampCounty4Fifty

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:10 AM

well, the '02 YZF 426 has a tiny tank. My son and I went riding 2 weeks ago, he on the YZF, and me on the CRFX and 36 miles in he is out of gas. Of course, like I mentioned in earlier post....no reserve, :confused: bummer.

Anyhow will be needing to purchase a larger aftermarket tank soon, real soon.

Sure wish I had a way to add the "reserve" feature - but how ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(* it is worth noting the mpg would have been better, but he had some fun in the sand, cutting up - I figured that used more than it should have on the mpg)

• Dirt_rebel

Posted April 05, 2006 - 08:37 AM

well, the '02 YZF 426 has a tiny tank. My son and I went riding 2 weeks ago, he on the YZF, and me on the CRFX and 36 miles in he is out of gas. Of course, like I mentioned in earlier post....no reserve, :confused: bummer.

Anyhow will be needing to purchase a larger aftermarket tank soon, real soon.

Sure wish I had a way to add the "reserve" feature - but how ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(* it is worth noting the mpg would have been better, but he had some fun in the sand, cutting up - I figured that used more than it should have on the mpg)

juz replace the yz fuel petcock wif a wr petcock.. dat way u can have reserve fuel.. :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.