EFI is coming!

71 replies to this topic
  • Indy_WR450

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Indy; thanks again for the nice week in Moab. i still have monkey butt. we got home with no problems except for gas from the back seat. i will start working on the videos in a week or so as i am finishing one up for my wife. had bruce and taylor over to help on labeling the photographs which i will probably do insertions into the videos as it goes. doyle aka pugsley

Glad you had a great first time in Moab. :thumbsup: Once you have had Moab you have to go back! :confused: The riding is out of this world! :thumbsup:

• CJ06WR

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:28 PM

I can't wait for FI. Last week I was at Ocotillo Wells with my buddy, who has a new Raptor 700R. His quad starts easily and has never had a problem. I start my WR up and take it on a few close to camp rides to warm her up and she wont idle. After scratching my forehead for a few seconds, I realized my Zip Ty fuel screw back itself out. I screwed it back in and reset the screw to Indy's specs and problem solved.

Small problems like this would be a thing of the past. No to change the thread, have any of you had your fuel screw turn itself out? The damn thing was close to falling out! Any ideas to keep this from happening again?

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 06, 2006 - 03:17 AM

Get a new zip ty fuel scew the threads are cut on the tight side and mine never has vibrated out of position. :thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 06, 2006 - 06:19 AM

Or just stretch the spring so there's a little more tension on the screw.

• Moto5

Posted April 06, 2006 - 06:41 AM

I was wondering if the spring was misplaced somehow when the new screw was put in. A small amount of blue locktite will keep it from loosening while still allowing adjustment.

• JamesD

Posted April 06, 2006 - 07:14 AM

I am all for fuel injection. If you are used to carbs it will require changing how you control the throttle a little but I'll take it over jetting any day. As a Denver resident I can honestly say that going from 5K to 12K+ in one ride is much easier with FI.
I don't see added weight as a problem either. The current WR already has a computer and a battery. A fuel pump is the only addition and the injector might weigh less than the carb.

However, dead batteries are a serious problem for a fuel injected trail bike. It will be interesting to see if they can make it work from just kickstarting.

• dbailey223

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:45 AM

what are the throttle control changes?

• Flash319

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:51 AM

You can pull start a Actric Cat snowmobile with FI. It runs on a mechanical pump so you only need power for the injector, which is nothing.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 06, 2006 - 03:22 PM

New EFI videos:

http://www.transworl...1180937,00.html

http://www.transworl...1180926,00.html

• Dirtmizer

Posted April 06, 2006 - 03:39 PM

EFI sounds good, but I just rode my friends new 06 450 EXC and it had good low end torque then with 6 speeds I was able to cruise at speed without winding the motor so hard, seems like six speeds allows you to have the best of both worlds, you could drop a tooth on the primary for the tight stuff and still be ok on the big end, I love my WR but I feel like its missing a gear. How about EFI, Hydraulic clutch, and 6 speeds!!!!! not sold on the aluminum frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryder

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:13 AM

Arctic Cats have an electric fuel pump. It is located in the tank like on street bikes. They get away without a battery because they have low and high speed coils on the stator. Low is for when you are starting it, and high is for when it is running. It normally takes two pulls to get the cats started. One to prime the FI (build up pressure in the fuel system) then another to get it started. Figured I would clear this up.

• jwriott

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Damn that would be sweet here. The BIGGEST problem with my old WR426 was altitude. Riding anywhere from Moab 4,000' all the way up to over 13,000' it was a pain in the ass.

Well, my new BRP will tide me over till you guys get these FI WR's and make sure all the bugs are worked out.

6th Gear on a WR450 would be a much higher priority than a hydraulic clutch for me.

• Triumphs

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I love my WR but I feel like its missing a gear. How about EFI, Hydraulic clutch, and 6 speeds!!!!! not sold on the aluminum frame.

Not sold on fuel Infection for off-road myself, but if the YZ gets it the WR probably will, and it will probably be OK after some sorting out. I won't be buying a first year FI model though! Six speed won't happen...it's not on the YZ. Alumunum frame will happen...it's on the YZ. Notice a pattern here? :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Notice a pattern here? :thumbsup:

Yes, KTM will still sell shitloads of bikes because of the extra gear.

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:07 AM

Actually you may see it on the WR first since it is subject to federal EPA standards and the YZ is exempt as a competition model.

• Moto5

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:55 AM

Yes, KTM will still sell shitloads of bikes because of the extra gear.

I disagree, I am glad the WR has only five. Funny thing most of the other five speeds I have had I wished there was another.

• GOTWHEELS

Posted April 07, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Efi For Offroad Is Great I Converted My Vw Powered Sandrail To Fuel Injection. It Was A Little Trouble Setting It Up, That Was Five Years Ago, It's Been Trouble Free Ever Since.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 07, 2006 - 10:40 AM

Damn that would be sweet here. The BIGGEST problem with my old WR426 was altitude. Riding anywhere from Moab 4,000' all the way up to over 13,000' it was a pain in the ass.

Well, my new BRP will tide me over till you guys get these FI WR's and make sure all the bugs are worked out.

6th Gear on a WR450 would be a much higher priority than a hydraulic clutch for me.

I hear you John! :confused: I remember our ride in Moab a few years ago with YZ400Man and we rode from 4,000 feet to 11,000 feet within an hour! :bonk: Then I ran out of top end in San Rafel Swell on our last trip with Rusty! :bonk:

I want to EFI! :thumbsup:
I want 6 speed!! :bonk:
I want radial tubeless knobbies!!! :thumbsup:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted April 07, 2006 - 11:19 AM

Yes! I want a six speed and EFI as well. I ride my WR on the highway and she wails at 70 mph!

Juice clutch doesn't matter to me.

Indy you should just get a job with Yami's engineering department, give them a little insight to what's doable and what's not.

I still dream of an EFI, six speed, 2 trac. (in black of course :thumbsup: )

• jwriott

Posted April 07, 2006 - 12:17 PM

I disagree, I am glad the WR has only five. Funny thing most of the other five speeds I have had I wished there was another.

For those of us that ride everything from WFO to tight singletrack a 6-speed is way more desireable. The 5-speed is adequate but not the best solution. It sucks to get your doors blown off by a KTM 450/525 EXC just because the guy has an extra gear.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.