EFI is coming!

71 replies to this topic
  • Indy_WR450

Posted April 03, 2006 - 03:31 PM

EFI is coming!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :cry: :bonk: :cry: :bonk: :bonk: :cry: :eek: :eek: :o :D :p :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

• jjgixxer

Posted April 03, 2006 - 03:33 PM

EFI is coming!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :cry: :bonk: :cry: :bonk: :bonk: :cry: :eek: :eek: :o :D :p :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

your about 3 weeks late been posted everywhere on here already :lol:

• WR_Dave

Posted April 03, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Jeeeeeezzz, give Indy a break. Now he can start working on the Indy's EFI download page. Cool--WR Dave.

• ncampion

Posted April 03, 2006 - 05:43 PM

Oh boy. Picture shows a YZ, hope it gets to the WR in the same year... I need a new bike but want to wait for the FI.

• Matty05

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Jeeeeeezzz, give Indy a break. Now he can start working on the Indy's EFI download page. Cool--WR Dave.

Yeah! I can't wait for indy's new EFI maps! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:29 PM

2007 or 2008 for the WR? My guess is 2008... :thumbsup:

• pkcof

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:57 PM

ok, so all we need now is the hydraulic clutch - then it should be almost perfect !!!

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 04, 2006 - 12:10 AM

nice I want EFI. I wonder how much better it will be than the carb

• gregwr450f

Posted April 04, 2006 - 02:47 AM

ok, so all we need now is the hydraulic clutch - then it should be almost perfect !!!

Rekluse!!!

• Moto5

Posted April 04, 2006 - 02:53 AM

Can you imagine putting a racing pipe on and not having to adjust the jetting four times to get it right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • internetguy

Posted April 04, 2006 - 03:03 AM

You guys crack me up on the EFI thing. You mean you want the extra weight and expense? We went through this on the FZ1 board a couple years ago-- all the hot shoes wanted EFI but it didn't change the bike as much as you'd think.

Instead of rejetting five times (or reading up on it and changing it once), you'll have to remap five times. On some pipes, you'll remap just to pass the sound inspection, then remap it again for the race.

And now you'll have to understand not only fuel curves, but ignition curves and how they interact. Get it wrong and your pal's with ancient hand jetted bikes will pass you like you're welded to the ground.

Oh-- and you want to remap? You'll need a handheld device or laptop-- include another wad of hundred dollar bills for that in your annual riding budget. And then hope your buddies don't drop it onto the concrete while asking "what's this?". You'll also be buying software programs and probably new handhelds to do the remapping every couple years. And while your buddies are out clearing doubles- you'll be dealing with code lock up.

And be honest-- how often do you change pipes? Once in the lifetime of your bike is about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but who has a shelf full of pipes they change for every event or ride type? For most of us punters- life is a lot more simple than that.

A well dialed in bike will not be dramatically improved by EFI. Yes, it's coming, but it won't make you that much faster or your bike that much better running. Been there, done that.

You'll also have a high pressure pump and lines, a battery and charging system, and electronics to maintain; all of which are being seriously pounded each time you ride. Worried about the expense of a four stroke rebuild? Wait'll you see how much coin a high pressure pump costs-- and you don't rebuild those. The added complexity will require additional maintenance and expense.

Sorry boys. I'm in the technology industry which means I like new stuff. Agreed it's neat and and an advancement, but it's not what most think it is.

My .02 cents.

Neil.

• OneToGo

Posted April 04, 2006 - 05:24 AM

Well said, and I agree :thumbsup:
Cant wait to play with it though...
:thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 04, 2006 - 05:55 AM

Well when you consider what a pain it is to rejet on the new aluminum framed YZ you might change your mind about EFI on the future WRs. I belong to the R1 forum and my 02 R1 like many others has never had a problem and I have changed the pipe and use a power commander to load a custom ignition and fuel map. If you ride in Moab or out west you can be at 4,000 feet and at 11,000 feet within one hour! EFI is going to be great if you live or ride in the mountains! I just cant wait to get the new WR with EFI. My money is packed away and burning a hole in my wallet waiting for Yamaha to make it happen! Hopefully 2008 will be the year for us! :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:09 AM

Rekluse!!!

Aren't those for girls???? :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:50 AM

Aren't those for girls???? :thumbsup:

you callin' me a girl? don't make me have to come down to kangaroo county :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted April 04, 2006 - 06:58 AM

you callin' me a girl? don't make me have to come down to kangaroo county :thumbsup:

You might not want to go back!!! You know you want to come over here! :thumbsup:

• simon@vic

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:32 AM

^ the above guy racks me up. if he works in the industry he would know that an EFI system is more reliable then a carb............. also, the wr already has a battery and charging system. so no extra weight................ and.......... there are system that do not require a lap top like a power commander {or yami equivalent}. Teclusions (SP?} is a simple system with 3 adjusters {high mid and low}. it simply modifies the electrical pulse to the injector. takes 3 seconds to adjust and no lap top. only a small flat blade screwdriver..........

what about a real wide ratio trans with 6 gears?..............

• Triumphs

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Well said, and I agree
Cant wait to play with it though...

It's having to play with it along the side of the trail 30 miles from my truck that I worry about! They sort them out eventually but based on history...you don't want the first year model of any new bike with "Fuel Infection"! :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Hey Indy How much do you think the scan tool will cost? do you think Yamaha will make it avalible to the public right away? Will the chip be rewriteable or will they make us buy aftermarket boxes(vortex) Free mods will not be free any more. I am looking forward to EFI it will be great but it will not be cheap can you imagine a ride from 3000' asl to 12,000 in one day and having perfect jetting all day!

• TallBoysWRF

Posted April 04, 2006 - 08:23 AM

EFI would be great in colder climates too. Around here I ride in 80 deg in the summer and 10 deg in the winter. Would be really nice to go out on a cold spring/fall morning and have perfect jetting and still have perfect jetting later in the day when the temp climes 20-30 deg in the afternoon. :thumbsup:

Hey internet guy, We'll let you catch up when we take off in the mornig on out EFI and you have to change a jet because it's too cold/hot or you have to adjust for elevation, and then you have to stop in the afternoon to change again. That's right... we'll never have to stop :confused:

and that's MY 2 cents! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.