Worn Needle?

3 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted April 03, 2006 - 01:36 PM

I've got an 02 wr426 with around 5500kms on the clock.

So far its been pretty much bulletproof. However, just recently i've been having what appear to be carby problems.

After warming the bike up, it runs really rough in the mid range, sometimes failing to even rev into the top end. It splutters and pops and won't rev out.

Only after the bike is really hot will it rev cleanly, and after that it's ok, as long as I don't let it cool down for too long.

I took the plug out to see if I could get a gauge on what is happening and it looks like its running really rich. The thing is, on every previous plug change its been perfect.

Took my plug into the local dealer and he said my needle could be a bit worn and to try moving the clip one position leaner, which appears to have fixed the problem. Although just looking at the needle I couldn't see any obvious signs of wear.

What i'm concerned about is could moving the clip be masking another problem, as I noticed in this forum that most people have their clip position set at number 4..

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 03, 2006 - 03:14 PM

All jets wear out over time. Needles become narrower and jet holes become larger. You have no issues with going to a new main or lowering you worn needle. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted April 03, 2006 - 08:57 PM

What i'm concerned about is could moving the clip be masking another problem, as I noticed in this forum that most people have their clip position set at number 4..

Don't forget you have to change jetting for climate changes!
I have to change mine about 3 times a year here up in the NT. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I am on clip #4 (JD red needle) but I go to #5 after this rain goes away in another month or two!

• Strattos

Posted April 03, 2006 - 11:37 PM

Thanks guys. Bit more peace of mind.

Sounds like it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a new jetting kit anyway.

Cheers again fellas.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.