theory behind the "cam mod"

2 replies to this topic
  • rpyfz450

Posted April 03, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Is it true that opening the exhaust valve earlier (like the WR450F) gives an engine more low-rpm power? I understand that closing the exhaust later increases overlap scavenging, but wouldn't opening earlier be wasting part of the combustion cycle?

I know two-stroke engines that have their exhaust ports open later gives more low-rpm power which is the opposite of what happens on four-strokes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rpyfz450

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:04 AM

Are connecting rod lengths significantly different from 2-strokes to 4-strokes?

• OlaGB

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:28 AM

I think its irrelevant, since the results are depending on both cams..

The point is that the exhaust flow makes the intake stroke able to pull in more air when timed correct.. If you change timing on one cam, the other might have to be changed as well to make an effect..

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.