Carb mods w/ carb on bike

10 replies to this topic
  • Jawmail

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:16 AM

Can it be done (Dave's mods) without taking the carb off. Can I just loosen the boot screws and rotate that sucker to work on it.

• rkuckkahn

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Doubt you can, the breather tubes, throttle cables, etc are probably going to have to be removed to turn it anyway and by the time you do that the only step is to squeeze the filter-side rubber and slip it out. It's really not a big deal taking it off and I like the idea of standing at a bench while tinkering with the carb rather than on my knees. For what it's worth I'd just take it out.

• goblin127

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:40 AM

If the carb has been desmoged allready it will make it easy. Just keep rotateing the carb till you get one end free then it will slip right out.

• ghoti

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Can it be done (Dave's mods) without taking the carb off. Can I just loosen the boot screws and rotate that sucker to work on it.

It can be done if de-smogged. I have changed main jets by rotating the carb. You've disconnected everything you need to remove the carb to rotate it, so not much to be gained by not popping it out.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I just popped out the engine, swing arm, & fuel tank, then I could reach the carb just fine. :thumbsup:

Actually, I have to agree with everyone else, just remove it. In the long run, it is way easier then trying to contort your hands into such a cramped space.

I attempted a jetting change once by just popping off the float bowl. By the time I was done cramping my hands, swearing, dropping jets, swearing, dropping float bowl screws, swearing, dropping tools, swearing, kneeling on a dropped screw and having it grind into my kneecap, swearing, and just generally being frustrated, I would have saved an hour by just removing the thing.

BTW, did I mention all the swearing? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:24 AM

I just popped out the engine, swing arm, & fuel tank, then I could reach the carb just fine. :thumbsup:

Actually, I have to agree with everyone else, just remove it. In the long run, it is way easier then trying to contort your hands into such a cramped space.

I attempted a jetting change once by just popping off the float bowl. By the time I was done cramping my hands, swearing, dropping jets, swearing, dropping float bowl screws, swearing, dropping tools, swearing, kneeling on a dropped screw and having it grind into my kneecap, swearing, and just generally being frustrated, I would have saved an hour by just removing the thing.

BTW, did I mention all the swearing? :thumbsup:

Remind me not to help you fix anything. :confused:

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 03, 2006 - 10:08 AM

...I like the idea of standing at a bench while tinkering with the carb...For what it's worth I'd just take it out.

I'm all about the bench, too. :thumbsup:

If you've gone as far as being able to rotate it, you might as well extract it all the way, especailly if you're going to shim the jet needle & drill the slide. :thumbsup: Then you can do the rotation method for additional jetting changes.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted April 03, 2006 - 11:18 AM

Remind me not to help you fix anything. :thumbsup:

but... I am just about ready to swap carbs altogether... :thumbsup:

• ghoti

Posted April 03, 2006 - 12:10 PM

but... I am just about ready to swap carbs altogether... :thumbsup:

Can I come and watch?

• Maniak

Posted April 03, 2006 - 01:08 PM

Take it off and do it on the bench, you will thank yourself a 100 times.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted April 04, 2006 - 03:02 AM

Can I come and watch?

should be good for a laugh.

My best friends wife thinks it is. Whenever him and I start anything, she cringes.
She has said several times we would do better working on our own, so as to not compund the stupidity by a factor of two. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.