How often do you change spark plugs?

11 replies to this topic
  • mtrdrms

Posted April 03, 2006 - 04:33 AM

Just trying to get a feel for how long they last. I have an 06 with about 6-8 hours on it and it feels a bit sluggish. I havent looked at the plug yet but I thought since everything else is perfect this could be the problem.

• CRFThumper

Posted April 03, 2006 - 04:35 AM

Wait,do these bike's have spark plugs?It's been so long i forget.All kidding aside,when mine start to rust I change them.

• Goosedog

Posted April 03, 2006 - 04:39 AM

I don't change them unless they foul and I've not had that happen for awhile now, current plugs been in there for over 6 months. Sounds more like you need to service your airfilter.

• yamadoggy

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:55 AM

On my 2000 426, I changed the plug twice in four years....I haven't even puled the plug on my 2005 450. On that's with one and a half seasons of desert races.

• PK

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I change mine yearly when I tear the bike down for it's greasing and carb teardown. It may not be necessary but a year of riding on a plug is plenty for me.

If your bike feels sluggish, have you re-jetted it? Clean air filter? Is the bike stock?

• 642MX

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Once a year.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Once.

So far, anyway. :thumbsup:

• BergArabia

Posted April 03, 2006 - 10:37 AM

Had my 05 since June it is on the original plug. Pulled it and cleaned it twice I think..

• mtrdrms

Posted April 03, 2006 - 03:25 PM

Hmm. Well, good to know. I have rejetted it (170-48)and the airfilter gets cleaned every other ride along with the oil. It hits plenty hard, it just feels like it misses at cruising speed and when I snap it to get over a log or stream it jsut felt a bit tired. Must just be me.

• PK

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:32 PM

I have heard the Boysen Quick shot accelerator pump cover may help you out. I have noticed that slight bog once in a while also, so your not crazy...

• David37

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:17 PM

Once a year whether it needs it or not.

• One Louder

Posted April 03, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Hmm. Well, good to know. I have rejetted it (170-48)and the airfilter gets cleaned every other ride along with the oil. It hits plenty hard, it just feels like it misses at cruising speed and when I snap it to get over a log or stream it jsut felt a bit tired. Must just be me.

Try a air screw adjustment, maybe it has loosened a little. Do you have a zip-ty yet?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.