Help from anyone with a wr426

8 replies to this topic
  • ill_caper

Posted April 02, 2006 - 04:04 PM

My buddy has a '02 wr426. It takes him ~40 kicks to start. What should he do for jetting to make it start easier?. I know about the JD jet kit, but wouldnt that only help mid-top. I dont think he wants to get the '03 cam. ANy suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, D

• old man dan

Posted April 02, 2006 - 04:18 PM

I'm assuming it runs well once it does start. First check that the valves haven't tightened up. After that clean the carb, check the jets (install a 48 pilot) and then start it and set the idle speed to 1900. Set the fuel screw properly and learn the starting drill. Cold, choke on, twist throttle once and kick. Hot, no choke, no throttle, kick. If everythings set up right it should start pretty easily.

• Numskull

Posted April 02, 2006 - 06:02 PM

I would leave it the way it is and just call it a work out :thumbsup:

No, it does sound like something is amiss. It should start with in three kicks. Need alittle more information though to give any suggestions. How long has he owned it? Has it always been like this? Did it just start doing it after storage? Is he familiar with the starting proceedure? Give us some more specific insight so we can give you a starting point in your trouble shooting.

• Ripmeister

Posted April 02, 2006 - 06:39 PM

I would leave it the way it is and just call it a work out :thumbsup:

No, it does sound like something is amiss. It should start with in three kicks. Need alittle more information though to give any suggestions. How long has he owned it? Has it always been like this? Did it just start doing it after storage? Is he familiar with the starting proceedure? Give us some more specific insight so we can give you a starting point in your trouble shooting.

Ditto - it's one thing if he's had it awhile, a completely different thing if he just got it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ill_caper

Posted April 03, 2006 - 12:18 PM

He got it about a year ago. It was pretty much brand new( it has less than 100 miles). Its always started hard. It is completely stock. I know with my wr450, the stock jetting was horrible. I now have it so its perfect but it took a while. I just didnt know if the stock jetting on these were bad too..Im guessing the carb needs to be cleaned as well. Once again, any help is appreciated Thanks, D

• WR_Dave

Posted April 03, 2006 - 04:29 PM

Make sure that the BK mod has been done to limit the fuel squirt length then try your jetting in his bike and see if it helps. I run a 40 pj, 165 mj, stock needle on the 2nd clip from the top, 100 paj, grey and blue wire mods, YZ timed plus a few other free things and my bike starts on the second kick at the most everytime. I ride at 5000 - 10,000 feet altitude. Proper jetting is the absolute key to the WR. Check here http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/ WR Dave.

• byggd

Posted April 04, 2006 - 04:13 AM

I have an 02 and it starts 2 or 3 kicks cold everytime. Here is my settings/jetting and I also did the BK mod. The thing RIPS! :thumbsup:

Model (400 - 426 - 450): 02 WR426
Timing (WR-YZ): YZ with 03 exhaust cam
Main jet: 170
Pilot Jet: 42
Fuel screw (turns out): 1 1/2
Needle model/Clip position: JD blue needle postion #3
Airbox lid (on or off): Lid Off
Pipe: White brothers e-series w/six discs and quiet core insert
Altitude where you ride: So Cal 0-4000 ft
Temperature where you ride: 75-110
Degree of satisfaction: Runs awesome quick response/no bog

• CampCounty4Fifty

Posted April 04, 2006 - 12:18 PM

any truth to the "rumor" that there is a elec starter out there for YZ 426 F, or WR 426 F ? 2002 models ? :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted April 04, 2006 - 01:13 PM

any truth to the "rumor" that there is a elec starter out there for YZ 426 F, or WR 426 F ? 2002 models ? :thumbsup:

Without a auto decompress cam I don't any possible way a starter could crank the beast over.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.