how smooth is the 06 450

13 replies to this topic
  • kyle450rider

Posted April 02, 2006 - 09:01 AM

Hello i have a 05 honda 450 but will be switching to an 07 yammie next season.I have read that yamaha really did great things with vibration from the engine this year.Also would like to know if anybody else has went from honda to yamaha and how did it go.Pros,cons?

• NYMXer

Posted April 02, 2006 - 09:59 AM

It's smoother than the Honda but not as smooth as the Suzuki. It has all the Honda's power but no real hit, just power everywhere. The Zook is the same but it has a mellow feel. For mx, I would have preferred the 4 speed. :thumbsup:

• huskysmr450

Posted April 02, 2006 - 03:01 PM

yami smoes honda hands down. I have a buddy with an 05 honda he rode my new yami and realy wants one now

• shigbie

Posted April 02, 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hello i have a 05 honda 450 but will be switching to an 07 yammie next season.I have read that yamaha really did great things with vibration from the engine this year.Also would like to know if anybody else has went from honda to yamaha and how did it go.Pros,cons?

I went from an 03 CRF450 to an 06 YZ450 and the yamaha is beeter in every category. The motor were very similar, but the front end and turning are night and day different. I know thehonda is older but the new YZ is AWESOME and super confience inspiring.

Scott

• zophy25

Posted April 02, 2006 - 03:43 PM

The magazines say that the 06 feels like it's 20lbs lighter than the other 450's. Is this true when your jumping?

• NYMXer

Posted April 02, 2006 - 04:50 PM

The magazines say that the 06 feels like it's 20lbs lighter than the other 450's. Is this true when your jumping?

For a 450, the YZF does not feel heavy at all. To me, it feels just like my 03 YZ250. In the air, it is balanced and very neutral. In the corners, it likes the inside line and holds it fine. I did find it a little skittish on fast chopped straightaways. Nothing to be alarmed about, but since the rest of the bike is so good, this would be my only complaint. Well that and it likes to stall in the corners. I am getting a slipper clutch from Rekluse. Hopefully the are going to sponsor the clutch parts to me.
:thumbsup:

• Yami_rider

Posted April 02, 2006 - 06:07 PM

I just bought me the 06 Yamaha and wow, its amazing. It feels so much lighter but infact it really isn't. From what ive herd and read they feel so much lighter cause everything is so balanced on the bike. I would recomend the Yamaha to everyone serious about ridding a dirtbike!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RoughR1der

Posted April 02, 2006 - 06:11 PM

although its a 2 stroke....i went from an 03 cr250 to a 06 YZ450. It feels lighter on the ground and in the air. This bike rox out w/ its cock out!!! One of the things that sold me was how smooth the bike is compared to my CR (its like a gigantic vibrator), the YZ is super smooth. You wont be disappointed in the YZF after some mods.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2006 - 09:03 PM

For mx, I would have preferred the 4 speed. :thumbsup:

Have you thought about gearing up? The '06 comes with a 13/49, compared to the 14/49 the '03 and '04 came with. The primary ratios are different, but not enough to make that kind of difference. By going to a 14/49, or even higher, you won't change the overall ratio of first gear that noticeably, but the gears will seem to be spaced wider, more like the four speed was, and you won't have to shift so much, which is what you're after, right?

The low gearing they came with is only there so that 5th can be used somewhere on a real-world MX track. Kick the gearing up and let the big bike work. Leave the close ratio stuff for the 250's.

• bryant40

Posted April 02, 2006 - 09:23 PM

You cant lose with the '06! Even with my newbie stock suspension ajustments, this bike handles, jumps, tracks, and just works better than any other bike i'v ridden. Can't wait to get this thing dialed in.

• kyle450rider

Posted April 02, 2006 - 09:32 PM

what i meant by the post was...yamaha spent alot of time on getting rid of vibration.has anybody noticed this coming from a different brand?

• motobark

Posted April 02, 2006 - 09:35 PM

Have you thought about gearing up? The '06 comes with a 13/49, compared to the 14/49 the '03 and '04 came with. The primary ratios are different, but not enough to make that kind of difference. By going to a 14/49, or even higher, you won't change the overall ratio of first gear that noticeably, but the gears will seem to be spaced wider, more like the four speed was, and you won't have to shift so much, which is what you're after, right?

The low gearing they came with is only there so that 5th can be used somewhere on a real-world MX track. Kick the gearing up and let the big bike work. Leave the close ratio stuff for the 250's.

Hey Gray, you're right on the money, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I ran 15-49 gearing on my '03 and it was pretty good just about everywhere. The taller gearing really took advantage of the '03's strong low end hit. I always wondered why guys gear these bikes down so low for woods riding, it just makes the power delivery too short and abrupt. The only time tall gearing is a little tough is super slow, tight uphill stuff, but all it takes is a little more clutch work. If your gearing seems too tall, it just means you're not riding fast enough!

I'm planning on going to 14-50 on my '06, that should let each gear pull a little longer. I'm pretty much not using 1st on the '06 so it might as well be a 4 speed. Between the 15-49 on the '03 and 13-49 on the '06, it's more like I gained a 1st gear instead of a 5th. Top speed is pretty close, I think the '03 was actually faster on top with the gearing I was using. (I've only seen 72 mph on the new bike so far, the '03 did better than that.) The other thing I don't like about the stock gearing is the 13 cs sprocket, they're kinda hard on the chain and front slider. The stock rubber slider is just about sawed through on my '06 already. The 14 tooth cs and some TM Designworks parts will solve that problem.

• RoughR1der

Posted April 02, 2006 - 10:02 PM

what i meant by the post was...yamaha spent alot of time on getting rid of vibration.has anybody noticed this coming from a different brand?

there is NO vibration :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 03, 2006 - 05:04 AM

It is the smoothest dirtbike I have ever owned - the new design counter balancer works awesome

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.