Scott's stainless steel oil filter

6 replies to this topic
  • Tim_Whisnant

Posted April 01, 2006 - 10:40 PM

Hey everybody !

I bought a '98 yz400 and it has one of those fancy Scott's oil filters. What's the best way to clean these things ?

Also, the fuel petcock doesn't shut off completely. Can I buy new gaskets for it or is a new one very expensive ??

• One Louder

Posted April 01, 2006 - 11:19 PM

How do tou like the 400 so far? I have the same bike. I think petcocks are pretty cheap, just get a new one and not have to worry about it :thumbsup:

• Tim_Whisnant

Posted April 02, 2006 - 11:01 AM

I love the bike ! It has awsome power. I can't imagine what a 450 must be like.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 02, 2006 - 06:42 PM

I clean my stainless filter with almost any good cleaning agent I have handy, then spray with air from the inside out. Dont submerge it in the cleaner though, run the cleaner through it from the inside out. That will keep the contaminents from entering the filter.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2006 - 07:45 PM

swishing it in clean solvent, spraying it with carb cleaner, compressed air works well, even hot water and a good detergent. But whenever you work with them, avoid getting dirty cleaning fluid on the inside, like the man said. That's where the clean oil goes. Both mine use a Scotts. I won't use anything else.

• crashyz426

Posted June 03, 2006 - 12:44 PM

You can take the petcock apart and replace the orings, its real easy and real cheap. just take it apart and go to napa, or autozone or lowes for that matter and match them up, there are 2 orings that seal it up.

• One Louder

Posted June 03, 2006 - 08:47 PM

You can take the petcock apart and replace the orings, its real easy and real cheap. just take it apart and go to napa, or autozone or lowes for that matter and match them up, there are 2 orings that seal it up.

I actually just replaced mine yesterday and I realized that there is only one o-ring and a special bushing that looks like a smiley face :D I just paid the $25 to replace a 8 year old part. And I found the best cleaner for the oil filter is good old paint thinner :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.