Xr600

8 replies to this topic
  • Fetona

Posted April 01, 2006 - 07:11 PM

So I'm thinking about selling my 1989 XR600. Its been a great bike but I have been thinking about upgrading to a newer (used) XR650R. So I'm wondering what a fair price for my 600 would be. Here are the details on my 600:

1. Two gas tanks. A stocker and an I.M.S 4.7 gal tank. Both have graphics.
2. Two sets of wheels with street/dirt tires in excellent condition. An extra set of sprockets and chain to go with those wheels.
3. Gripper seat.
4. Aluminum bars.
5. SRC fork brace
6. I.M.S. BURLY PEGS
7. Skid plate
8. brackets for buddy pegs have been welded on, folding buddy pegs included.
9. Super Trapp pipe, and stock pipe.
10. The bike is street legal in CA (has a plate) and the tags are good thru MAY 2007.

Ok, here are the negatives.

1. This bike has over 12,500 miles of mostly offroad.
2. The bike uses a bit of oil when riddend hard.

The motor on this XR is totally stock. The head has never been off and the cases have never been split. It is still on the original clutch. The only thing that I had to do to the motor was to replace the stator. I think the bike looks really good for 17 years old.

The wheel bearings were replaced recently. The O-ring chain is still fairly new.

So what do you all think this 6honey is worth, or more importantly what do you think I could get for it?

Thanks,
Ed

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 01, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I'd ask $2000, but don't expect it. It is a 17 year old bike.

You will probably only get peanuts for that bike, and should therefore keep it. 12,500 miles offroad is not bad for an XR600R. it is a good backup bike for when your 650R has a busted radiator :thumbsup:

My 1995 XR650L is approaching 60,000 miles.

• wheelnut46

Posted April 01, 2006 - 08:49 PM

Its true. Given its age etc. you might not get what it would be worth to keep. Not because the bike is bad, just because of the year. Probably the most valuable thing is the license plate. Still, someone will definitely want it.
I can talk myself into keeping everything.

• targetdrone

Posted April 01, 2006 - 09:34 PM

I wouldn't expect much. My friend found a '93 like mine in really good shape from the original owner that absolutely babied it. It has a stock tank but lots of other quality mods, but no plate. The guy wanted 1500 and I told him to offer 1200. He got it for 1300.

You can usually put your stock parts on the bike and sell your aftermarket stuff separately and get more money overall. Want to sell the larger tank? My buddy now needs one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fetona

Posted April 01, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, somebody at my work has already said he would buy it. But really, the only reason why I am thinking about selling it is because the motor is starting to use a lot of oil and I am a little worried that it may not be as reliable as it has been. Last week I did a 350 mile offroad ride thru Death Valley. I didn't have any problems at all but that's not the kind of place where you want to break a timing chain or something.

So the other thing that I am considering is to just have the top end rebuilt and continue using it for Dual Sport rides. Even though its 17 years old, it really is a good bike for those type of events. Does anybody know of a shop in So. California that they can recommend for rebuilding an XR600 motor? Might not be a bad idea to get a quote and try to figure out which route I should take.

Its true. Given its age etc. you might not get what it would be worth to keep. Not because the bike is bad, just because of the year. Probably the most valuable thing is the license plate. Still, someone will definitely want it.
I can talk myself into keeping everything.

• SDBSKI

Posted April 02, 2006 - 06:39 PM

XR's Only in Hesperia Ca. does great machine work. They gave good advice on what to replace and what I could reuse. I did my own labor but many people use them for the whole deal. My brother just bought an XR400 to replace his '89 XR600. The 600 runs good and doesn't use any oil. It has a Ca. plate. He is gonna hold out for $1500.

• bert smith

Posted April 15, 2006 - 07:39 AM

hi, would you consider selling the extra set of wheels separately?
thank you
c

• moto_x2005

Posted April 15, 2006 - 07:57 AM

i have a 88 xr600 that i may sell, no mods, 500 miles on motor, runs good, body is in fair cond. i can only get about 900 for it tho

• Fetona

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:54 AM

Bert,

For the moment I've decided to hang on to the XR so I don't want to sell the wheels.

Thanks

hi, would you consider selling the extra set of wheels separately?
thank you
c

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.