06 yz 450f loud clutch noise

13 replies to this topic
  • amsoilbob

Posted April 01, 2006 - 06:07 PM

[COLOR=Blue]have 4hrs on a 06yz450f and the clutch noise is very loud[/COLOR] louder than any Yamaha's i have had even when i had billet clutch baskets

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2006 - 06:47 PM

When is the clutch noisey?

Are there circumstances under which the noise is not audible? If so, what are they?

• Drfletcherdc

Posted April 01, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Did you just put a skid plate on?

• amsoilbob

Posted April 02, 2006 - 04:16 AM

sure did

• amsoilbob

Posted April 02, 2006 - 04:19 AM

when it is out when u pull it in noise quiets
i had my buddie ride it and you can hear it loud as it comes toward you

• yz_anders

Posted April 02, 2006 - 05:07 AM

Try to take away the skidplate, i´ve heard that it makes the bike sound pretty loud..

Its worth a try..

• moochie

Posted April 02, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Did you just put a skid plate on?

Hey, good call there Drfletcherdc! :thumbsup:

As others have mentioned here...I wonder if sticking a bunch of that foam padding in between the skid plate and engine helps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2006 - 07:45 AM

That is normal gear rattle. In neutral with the clutch engaged, the engine is spinning half of the transmission. The engine, however does not turn at a steady speed, but accelerates suddenly with each firing stroke, and slows abruptly when it hits the next compression stroke. That accel/decel action rattles the normal clearances in the gearbox. When you pull the clutch in, the transmission is disconnected from the engine, and the noise stops.

The installation of the skid plate amplifies it by reflecting it back up toward you. Check out any other YZ450. They all do this, and the '06 is slightly louder than earlier models due to the attenuation by the aluminum frame.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted April 02, 2006 - 07:57 AM

You get use to it, so just leave the skid on. I took out the foam from mine, because on my other bike, by the time it got mud and water on it, it was probably 10 pounds heavier.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 02, 2006 - 06:13 PM

the foam muffles the noise.....the noise echo's when the skid plate is on. take it out after cleaning to dry....no big deal. :thumbsup:

• YamieRider411

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:12 AM

I'm having this same problem... I'm using the Factory Connection skid Plate... I'm not using the foam insert.

• motobeck

Posted December 01, 2006 - 07:32 AM

Mine was the same... installed the Works Connection skid plate and the bike sounded like it had no oil in it. Tried installing the foam and it quieted right down. Now I just have one more thing to attend to when I clean the bike (the foam). You pretty much have two choices, get used to the noise or deal with cleaning out the foam occasionally. Some have said that putting self-adhesive weather stripping between the frame rails and the skid plate will help, but I have yet to try this.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted December 01, 2006 - 05:19 PM

Mine was the same... installed the Works Connection skid plate and the bike sounded like it had no oil in it. Tried installing the foam and it quieted right down. Now I just have one more thing to attend to when I clean the bike (the foam). You pretty much have two choices, get used to the noise or deal with cleaning out the foam occasionally. Some have said that putting self-adhesive weather stripping between the frame rails and the skid plate will help, but I have yet to try this.

Don't even notice the sound anymore so dealing with the nasty foam isn't worth it.

• MJC476

Posted December 01, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Don't even notice the sound anymore so dealing with the nasty foam isn't worth it.

I have the foam installed in front of the motor between the frame rails (where the holes in the skid plate are). My local track is clay based & half the season is spent racing in mud. The foam does an excellent job of keeping mud out. Cleaning only takes a few seconds with a hose:thumbsup:

I have gotten used to the noise, but freinds occasionally coment on it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.