Rejetting problems

5 replies to this topic
  • ram1000

Posted April 01, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I bought a 2000 XRL here in Oregon for my brother and through the advice here I followed Daves jetting instructions. It worked out very well. A friend with a KLR rode the Honda before my brother got it and decided to get one himself. When I delivered the 2000 from Oregon to my brother in California we found a 2003 with 700 miles on it. It had California smog stuff and the Oregon bike had less smog stuff. We have gone through the same steps removing the smog stuff and capping the air injection holes below the pipes and rejetting to the same specs. THis bike will not run right at those jetting specs. We are back to stock idle jet with one up size main jet to get it to run decent. Daves recommendations are 58/155 and the stock Honda from California was 50/152. Any body got any ideas why it doesn't like the same jetting as the 2000 bike? Is there a different cam in the California bike?

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted April 01, 2006 - 06:34 PM

You should ask Burned in the Jetting Forum. He will get right back to you with an answer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 03, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Typo changeing 55/158 to 58/155, or did you use 58/155?

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted April 03, 2006 - 08:33 AM

What is the altitude/climate difference between the two places? Cali vs. Or? One is cold & damp, the other warmer & drier (generally speaking) Could that be a factor? :thumbsup:

Are the bikes dissimilarly modified otherwise in any way? I.E. pipes, air filters etc.?

I have heard the Cali carbs are a bit different than the rest of the country due to smog stuff, an extra nipple or some such thing. Are you absolutely SURE you have all the holes plugged and hoses routed properly? Are you sure the rubber diaphragm inside the carb was not damaged when you drilled the slide? :thumbsup:

That is all the input I have, I consistently see very similar questions, it usually seems to be a vacuum leak, misrouted hose, or other minor variance that is the culprit.

• ghoti

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:27 AM

I bought a 2000 XRL here in Oregon for my brother and through the advice here I followed Daves jetting instructions. It worked out very well. A friend with a KLR rode the Honda before my brother got it and decided to get one himself. When I delivered the 2000 from Oregon to my brother in California we found a 2003 with 700 miles on it. It had California smog stuff and the Oregon bike had less smog stuff. We have gone through the same steps removing the smog stuff and capping the air injection holes below the pipes and rejetting to the same specs. THis bike will not run right at those jetting specs. We are back to stock idle jet with one up size main jet to get it to run decent. Daves recommendations are 58/155 and the stock Honda from California was 50/152. Any body got any ideas why it doesn't like the same jetting as the 2000 bike? Is there a different cam in the California bike?

How doesn't it run right? Did you de-snorkle and re-filter?

• Motosprtman

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:08 AM

a GOOD comment was made in that did you remove the snorkle from the air box and replaced the stock paper filters with foam unit. Then move onto the jetting, if your running a stock exhaust with those mods the jets should be 158 m and 55 pilot. Or so I have been told.

I am entirely happy with my setup of Uni Airfilter, snorkle removed, IMS smog block off kit, White Brothers E2 slip on pipe, and a Dyno jet kit needle with e-clip in the 3rd notch. Dynojet spring, Dynojet 165 main jet, Kehien 55 pilot jet, 2 1/4 turns out on fuel air screw. I did not drill the slide.

In this configuration it starts on half choke and idles right away, unlike before (stock) which took full choke and fiddling with the throttle to keep it running until warm. My bike as I like to say pulls like a freight train on steroids, 2nd gear blip the gas wheelies and I am 73" 225lbs.

If all of your jetting and all else check out okay - did you adjust the fuel air screw?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.