picked up my brp

22 replies to this topic
  • adam574

Posted April 01, 2006 - 11:40 AM

so i picked the bike up today. it was mint just like they guy said. it has the nh title and doesn't say off-road use only on it so i am good to go. i have bought a xr400 off the same guy and registered that one for the road so this should go just as easy as the other one was. i will probably register it on monday but won't have the time to put the dualsport kit on till next weekend. so maybe a week from monday i will be inspected and ready to rock. bike is way faster then i expected, i thought it was going to be comparable to a 450 which i have been racing for 2 years but it is definately way faster.

what do you guys think about building your own dualsport kits. will i save that much money or should i just save myself the headache and get the trick dualsport one. i am ok with electrical stuff and wouldn't mind going through the headache if i can get it done for 200 but if it is going to cost me 350 just for the parts then i would rather just spend the extra money and get a kit all put together.

• MindBlower

Posted April 01, 2006 - 01:15 PM

there's no doubt that if you can figure your own electrical part out you can do it WAY cheaper yourself. I see all the components going on ebay WAY cheap.

• xr-jorger

Posted April 01, 2006 - 02:50 PM

lots of cheap stuff on e-bay to do it yourself, you can even get A full kit for around $300 on e-bay also....good luck!

• TimBrp

Posted April 01, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Congrats on the bike!! Lot's of cheap stuff out there man. Nothing like a bolt on though with a warranty. The Baja designs quick release is damn sweet.

• adam574

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:27 AM

got my plate today.. that is the only major step for me, the inspection won't be a problem... now if i can only decide on a dualsport kit.

• TimBrp

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:35 AM

I've tried three types in the past and out of them the Baja Designs was the best, hands down. They use stock OEM Honda plastics to build the kits which is grade A stuff. The quick release isn't cheap but you get what you pay for, IMO.

• adam574

Posted April 03, 2006 - 12:16 PM

is the battery integrated into the front number plate?

• TimBrp

Posted April 04, 2006 - 02:50 AM

Yes everything resides behind there. Very clean design. Have a look:

Quick release

• adam574

Posted April 04, 2006 - 09:48 AM

can't really tell in the picture... either way i ordered it today. hopefully it is way easier then a different kit i bought. if it is a quick as people say then i should be able to get in inspected by friday.

• ztsd

Posted April 04, 2006 - 11:39 AM

can't really tell in the picture... either way i ordered it today. hopefully it is way easier then a different kit i bought. if it is a quick as people say then i should be able to get in inspected by friday.

Congratulations Adam! Sweet!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 05, 2006 - 02:57 AM

Nice choice. yeah I just tried the link, you have to go over to the left and click on Honda and follow the prompts...my bad dude. Good luck with the kit. I will say, they "quick release" isn't extremely quick(4 clamps and some plugs to undo) but it's easier than most. The other kits I tried fell apart and had issues. The quick release is sturdy(trust me) and Baja Designs warranties their shit, typically no questions asked and the cust. service is top notch, IMO.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 05, 2006 - 01:51 PM

Nice choice...
06' Yammie WR450F
02' Honda XR650R
99' Husky WR250

Hey Tim, D_D here in SD. When did you pick up your '06 WR450, and how do you like it? Done any of the "free mods" yet?

Not tryin' to hijack the thread here, but I'm curious because I've been thinkin' 'bout one, too after selling my WR426 last year...

• TimBrp

Posted April 06, 2006 - 02:57 AM

Hey Tim, D_D here in SD. When did you pick up your '06 WR450, and how do you like it? Done any of the "free mods" yet?

Not tryin' to hijack the thread here, but I'm curious because I've been thinkin' 'bout one, too after selling my WR426 last year...

Got the bike this past Saturday from Derry Cycles in NH. The bike rules man. I've only got about 45 miles logged but it's a blast. I bought it all modded out too. Every guard I wanted and all the free mods done aside from the airbox cutouts and yz timing. I have an FMF Q2 on it also. The power is great. I kept riding it like the XR in the lower RPM range and then just whacked the throttle and holy shit! The thing just pulls and pulls! Handling was great, the weight was mint. Felt very planted and the ergos/suspension are great, even out of the box, stock. I'm happy with it and the button is a thing of beauty. Once I figured out what the hell a hot start did, I knew it belongs on all bikes, especially the BRP. Here are some pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And one of the BRP to stay with the forum aspect here...

Posted Image

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 07, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Got the bike this past Saturday from Derry Cycles in NH. The bike rules man. I've only got about 45 miles logged but it's a blast. I bought it all modded out too. Every guard I wanted and all the free mods done aside from the airbox cutouts and yz timing. I have an FMF Q2 on it also. The power is great. I kept riding it like the XR in the lower RPM range and then just whacked the throttle and holy shit! The thing just pulls and pulls! Handling was great, the weight was mint. Felt very planted and the ergos/suspension are great, even out of the box, stock. I'm happy with it and the button is a thing of beauty. Once I figured out what the hell a hot start did, I knew it belongs on all bikes, especially the BRP. Here are some pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And one of the BRP to stay with the forum aspect here...

Posted Image

Sorry off-topic again, but I couldn't resist.

Very, VERY NICE TimBRP!!! :thumbsup: Doesn't matter what forum your in. That is a sweet ride, looks almost brand new. How about the weight? Betcha can't believe the power to weight ratio. Absolutely amazing!

I almost looped mine (WRF) in 4th gear going about 45 mph off a little knoll jump when I whacked open the throttle! :confused: I couldn't believe it, it had an extra power band (almost) like a 500cc 2-smoke. Those Yami DOHC, all titanium 5-valve motors are the bomb!!! :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted April 08, 2006 - 05:19 AM

It is brandy new, that was after the first ride. The motor is the bomb. I hear what you're saying about the "extra" powerband. I kept riding it around 7-8k rpm and then just wound it out and was absolutely amazed at the power. The weight is sweet, I'll admit it. The torque of the 650 isn't there, obviously but theres plenty. Can't wait till tomorrow!

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 08, 2006 - 07:03 AM

Get the right hand footpeg fixed before you start riding your 650. Better to do it now than limp in from a trail ride resting your right foot on the brake pedal or dangling. :thumbsup:

• adam574

Posted April 08, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Get the right hand footpeg fixed before you start riding your 650. Better to do it now than limp in from a trail ride resting your right foot on the brake pedal or dangling. :thumbsup:

i hear ya on this but i don't really want to drill into my frame and that is what i hear you have to do to fix the problem... are there any bolt on fixes?

• ztsd

Posted April 08, 2006 - 11:33 PM

i hear ya on this but i don't really want to drill into my frame and that is what i hear you have to do to fix the problem... are there any bolt on fixes?

Posted Image

Drilling ain’t that big a deal... Just opening up the existing hole a little for a larger bolt... Get it Here [IMG]

• adam574

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:30 PM

baja designs kit is on back order until this monday :thumbsup: .. i got the tires so at least i can put them on and go for a trial ride this sunday...

• TimBrp

Posted April 13, 2006 - 02:57 AM

Have fun man! Get used to that thing before you go all out. One thing I absolutely love about the BRP is that you can dump the thing at any speed and it will rarely break. Not to jinx you or anything. Let me know when you want to hook up for a ride.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.