wr 426 clutch trouble?

2 replies to this topic
  • rwatts

Posted April 01, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Started my bike last week after sitting idle for a month, put it into gear and it learched forward like there was no clutch. I left it idle for 5 mins thinking maybe the plates had bound due to me not using it over the cold weather, sure enough started working fine. I came home and checked it again after 45 mins - once again the back wheek was locked solid with the clutch pulled in?
The clutch is new - but worked fine for the first couple of rides?
It has now started overheating also!
I am using Motorex 10w40 fully synthetic oil?

Any ideas? : :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted April 01, 2006 - 11:42 AM

Hi Rwatts,

I am no expert but have just gone through what you describe. Only in my case, once it overheated the gawd awful smell (clutch frying) appeared. I have pulled my entire clutch apart and am waiting on new clutchplates. I do think you want to run regular oil for a while while the clutch sets up. As I recall, that was the warning of running Synthetic too soon when I got the bike - clutch slippage. Try regular oil and see if that helps ya :thumbsup:

• rwatts

Posted April 02, 2006 - 12:40 AM

Thanks fryboy,
I can ride the damn thing but am not great at stripping things down and putting them back together! Should have tried harder in school! lol! Anyway -

I changed the oil last night and intended to put castrol gts semi-synthetic in, I pulled the old stuff out (about 12 hours old) and noticed it was definately darker than usual. I also pulled out the oil filter to give it a clean and noticed lots of metal fragments - usually there is very little/none. Is this down to the new clutch or something more sinister?
Also, maybe I am loosing it but when i pulled the filter housing off, the filter fell out, there is a black rubber disk on the back of the oil filter. (i had the clutch changed at a garage and they changed the filter last) I am sure I used to take that rubber disk off, then locate the 2 holes on the back of the filter over 2 nipples at the back of the bore where the filter goes, this made me think the filter had to be pulled out last time I done it?
I ended up putting the remainder of my synthetic oil in and booking an appointment for the bike to go in to a garage! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.