led blinkers,need help asap

9 replies to this topic
  • drtlvr

Posted March 31, 2006 - 02:48 PM

do I need a different flasher on my xr650L to get these leds to flash?

• cleonard

Posted March 31, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Yes, you need an electronic flasher. The stock flasher has some wire over a bimetallic arm. It gets hot, bends and breaks the circuit. Then it cools, bends back and makes the circuit again. That's how it flashes. The LED's don't use enough juice to make it flash. The olter alternative is to use a resistor in parallel with the leds to use as much juice as the old bulbs.

I think that you can get the electronic flasher at an auto parts store, or a bike shop that sells the LED turn signals.

• cajun

Posted March 31, 2006 - 03:36 PM

Yep just get an electronic flasher at Autozone.

• drtlvr

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:11 PM

thanks I'll check out autozone

• Ude123

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:36 PM

What is the type of electronic flasher(part no.)? Also, how do you wire it? does it plug in where the other flasher is? or do you remove the existing flasher unit? Please give me a detailed instruction as I'm sort of an idiot with the electrical part of this bike.
Thanks in adavance,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted April 08, 2006 - 10:00 PM

swap the old flasher for the new flasher

• dbracht

Posted April 09, 2006 - 06:05 AM

Try this...remove the bulb from the indicator display on the dash. It unplugs from the rear. I used a electronic flasher and it still would not flash. Someone suggested removing the bulb and now it works fine. Dont ask me why. Something to due with power draw etc.

• XR_mad

Posted April 09, 2006 - 06:20 AM

the leds dont draw enough current for the oem flasher which relys on heat, read cleonards post it explains how it works :thumbsup:

• Esinem

Posted November 12, 2006 - 03:52 PM

The connector for my (missing) flasher has three wires: grey, grey/white and black but my replacement flasher has only two terminals. Since the grey & grey/white wires seem to be the common on the turn switch should I wire these together?

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 12, 2006 - 08:13 PM

do I need a different flasher on my xr650L to get these leds to flash?

Sent you PM

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.