a couple yz400 questions

2 replies to this topic
  • halftimer

Posted March 31, 2006 - 10:35 AM

well I have a slight noise in the top end and was wondering does this bike have a comon problem I need to check first? its a 98 yz 400 f. I read somewhere about cam chain problems whats the fix for that?

also what different bikes plastics will cross with this bike. I want new plastic and a graphic kit but there arent many choices for mine. will the 426 or 450 plastic work??? thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tom nolan

Posted March 31, 2006 - 12:15 PM

I have a 98 as well. the Cam chain could be the problem. What type of noise is it? Check the filter for bits of steel. If so, It might be the big end bearing for the rod. You will here a knock or engine pullsation. if that's it

• halftimer

Posted March 31, 2006 - 01:45 PM

its sort of like a high speed rattle. sounds as if the cam chain slider is worn out or like all the valves are out of adjustment. but I have checked the valves and buttoned the top back up and it still makes the noise??? I didnt really look at the cam chain while I was in there. it makes me unsure to load up and go ridding just to get out and grenade the motor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.