2006 YZ450 Ever check oil cold?

5 replies to this topic
  • wpsnowman

Posted March 31, 2006 - 04:28 AM

Well I recieved my new 450 2 weeks ago. I have yet to start it (I'm very patient) because its recommended you shouldn't garage run it until after break in. Needless to say I can see they started at dealer ship and spun rear tire :thumbsup: . My question has any one ever pulled oil dip stick when engine is cold? I know Yamaha puts oil in from factory and the dealer ship said they started and checked it. But last night I decided what the hell where is at when cold. The answer, just touchs bottom of stick. Maybe I should just run in gargage for 3 min like manual says and check. Any feed back. :thumbsup: It's always these stupid little things that keep me up all night...LOL

• wpsnowman

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:42 AM

Ok let me ask this. If at all possible and convenient could someone check there oil when motor is cold. Also as stated above I checked cold and that was with dip stick screwed in which usually you wouldn't do.

• yami racer

Posted March 31, 2006 - 07:43 AM

No problem here....the oil will settle into the crank case when it is cold and you will not get any reading. You need to run it for a few minutes (not just let it idle) and then get your reading. I always drain the oil and refill on a new bike before going out...Remember also do not screw in the dipstick when checking

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazycracker

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:05 AM

let that bad boy run

• kid on a 426

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Well I recieved my new 450 2 weeks ago. I have yet to start it (I'm very patient)

WOW you are really patient. I could never do that no matter what

• Stevequest2000

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:34 PM

I learned my lesson on checking 4 stroke oil on an old WR I had. I didn't know that you had to let it warm up before checking the oil and added so much that I blew a gasket and the bike wouldn't start for crap. I can understand you being worried about the dealership putting in oil, so just open one of the drain bolts a little to make sure something comes out. If there is some oil there, you'll be okay to run it for a little bit and the make sure the oil is touching the dipstick. To get a good reading though, you'll have to run it and operate the clutch like Yami said.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.