Dove Springs To McIvers Cabin W/Pics

29 replies to this topic
  • skoot22

Posted March 30, 2006 - 10:06 PM

Well BNR (Ben),his friend Randy,RockHound ( Doug) and Myself all went to the Cabin today. We could not have asked for better conditions :thumbsup: I would say pretty much that riding conditions were just about perfect. It was a nice ride all the way up to the cabin, we even got to see some snow. Thanks for the ride guys. Posted Image Posted Image Randy and Doug in the back Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Me Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Randy,Ben Me Posted Image Doug, Randy and Ben Posted Image

• palmdaleRider

Posted March 31, 2006 - 06:50 AM

Not as much snow as I expected to see. Did you have any problems finding McIvers Cabin?

• Dust_Devil

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Sweet photos, It looks like it is snowing up there again today (friday)

• cleonard

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:22 AM

For those who don't know and would like to go to this wonderful destination, it is easy to find. The cabin is at about 6500 feet and is a nice place to go, even in the summer. In fact that's why it was built. The McIvers ran a road house that was on the (very) old road that more or less paralleled the 14. There are a few ruins at that site. The McIvers got real tired of the extra hot days in the summer and built the cabin.

To find the cabin, you need to find route SC65. It runs all the way to the 14. It joins the 14 about 10 miles north of the Dove Springs turn off. When I go there I park at Dove Springs. Then take the upper aqueduct to the 65. Then it's up the 65. When you get to the microwave station the jeep trail is on the right. It's all dirt roads and jeep trails. It's a good easy destination.

Snow level is supposed to be around 7000 today so there might no be too much snow.

• skoot22

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:40 AM

Not as much snow as I expected to see. Did you have any problems finding McIvers Cabin?

McIvers seemed pretty easy to find,We parked on a hill about 1/8 mile past the Electrical wires took that rode then 65 all the way up.I think the only fork was by the Tower and i rode up there to check that out. It was a little slick but not too bad, and there was water in the holes where it is whooped out. There is also a Tree down about 2 miles before the cabin that we had to go around. It was a nice ride though not too challenging but defiantly fun.

• skoot22

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Sweet photos, It looks like it is snowing up there again today (friday)

Thanks, i wanted to take more but it is kind of hard because i wanted to ride and also not hold up the other guys too much.

• mikefish

Posted March 31, 2006 - 09:18 AM

I was with the 3 pigs & a 450 behind you. Nice pics... perfect day! We rode in from Ridgecrest & had only one casualty back down by Inyokern. He'll be at home for a while with a broken arm........

• skoot22

Posted March 31, 2006 - 09:29 AM

I was with the 3 pigs & a 450 behind you. Nice pics... perfect day! We rode in from Ridgecrest & had only one casualty back down by Inyokern. He'll be at home for a while with a broken arm........

Just PMed you, i guess that was you guys we saw off to side of the trail on our way back down,2 KTM 525,XR200 and me on the CR250, sorry to hear about your friend, hope he has a speedy recovery.

• tdamore

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Nice pics Scott. Any weekend rides coming up for you?

• XRIowa

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Damn I need to get in on some of these cool rides!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skoot22

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:51 PM

Damn I need to get in on some of these cool rides!!

I might be heading back up there on Wednesday the 5th. I will know more in a couple of days

• skoot22

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:54 PM

Nice pics Scott. Any weekend rides coming up for you?

It is hard for me to get in Weekend rides with work and my daughters soccer, but i might be able to ride on the 23rd of April.

• newcastle_brown

Posted March 31, 2006 - 11:09 PM

I was just up there last weekend breaking in the new D/S Husqvarna. The snow was falling and the ground was PERFECT!!! Cold though....we couldn't even get a fire started at McIvers.(I'll be back for Easter, & I'm gonna take a duraflame up there)

Beers on me for TT'ers.

• skoot22

Posted March 31, 2006 - 11:25 PM

I was just up there last weekend breaking in the new D/S Husqvarna. The snow was falling and the ground was PERFECT!!! Cold though....we couldn't even get a fire started at McIvers.(I'll be back for Easter, & I'm gonna take a duraflame up there)

Beers on me for TT'ers.

What days are you going? i am going to try and make it over there a couple of days. Will you be camping or just over for some day rides?

• slugblaster45

Posted April 01, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Looks like a cool ride. How many miles round trip?

• Circle K

Posted April 01, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Nice pics Scott.... :thumbsup: i've been off 2 months due 2 injury. cant wait 2 ride again................. :thumbsup:

• prwler

Posted April 01, 2006 - 09:45 AM

Good pics :thumbsup:

• Rock_Hound

Posted April 01, 2006 - 10:14 AM

Comments from Doug, one of this trip's riders:

Scott originally wanted to ride kind of easy as he had just healed up from having his thumb and wrist broken. Other than the scars from surgery and not being able to really press his thumb down on the opposite side of his palm you wouldn't have known he was "riding easy" to watch him. Wheelies down the road, short blips to loft the front wheel across the latest ruts were accomplished with ease. He's a good rider.

As for Randy and Ben they would ride the sagebrush along side the road for a little more challenge. Randy reported one at-speed-slide in the trees where the bike slid on the wet trail, catching traction in time to avoid meeting a tree. We have to take his word for it as he disappeared from view after the first several turns.

After lunch we all split, Scott for Bakersfield, Randy and Ben to find a steep hill to climb, and myself to run trail #102.

The only downside to the day was a lesson by Mother Nature, don't park your bike under a snow laden tree (wet seat).

Later, :thumbsup:
Doug

• dirtywurty

Posted April 01, 2006 - 10:15 AM

Leaving for Dove Springs next staurday.
That cabin is on my route.

Can't wait.

nice pics

• bnr

Posted April 01, 2006 - 05:29 PM

Scott, thanks for the pics. Great day. No dust great traction and good people. See you on the next one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.