cannondale READ

9 replies to this topic
  • chris_covey

Posted October 08, 2001 - 04:17 PM

they have all revamped machines. three coming out in spring and one thats out as we speak . i test rode the 440 s and would say that it handles and is every bit as fast as my brother in laws 2001 426 . i am an experienced rider that used to race motocross& district 37 hairscrambles. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EDUCATED OPINIONS OR FACTS ABOUT THE NEW MACHINES?

• Chris_Slade

Posted October 08, 2001 - 06:49 PM

Well, call it educated or not....but......
Being someone who worked with Cannondale's mountain and road bicycles....I can say I wouldn't trust a C'Dale as of yet.
In the bicycle industry, Cannondale usually had very good equpiment, when it worked. I had numerous problems with my Super V 900, and I was not the only one. Frames were notorious for defects and breakage, while the "innovations" usually just made one incredibly difficult and awkward machine to work on and repair. All in all, I always felt Cannondales were over priced, and over-engineered. K.I.S.S. is not a Cannondale motto, and it's bitten them before.
Not yet....but maybe in 5 or so years I'd consider one.

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• SUnruh

Posted October 09, 2001 - 05:42 AM

the 4stroke nationals were down the road a week ago. Reynard was super fast on the Cannondale for 15 minutes. too bad it is a 25 minute moto. he pushed the bike off the track. internal failure and a DNF. then he didn't even show for the next moto.

what cannondale is proving is that their technology is NOT working and their manufacturing is NOT of a good quality.

not being able to finish a 25 minute moto is pretty bad. worse is having 3 bikes at the track and not even going to the start line for moto 2.

they need to either re-think their product or give up. they are burning money as fast as throwing it in a fire and with the same result.

• *mike68*

Posted October 09, 2001 - 06:36 AM

I agree with Chris on the Mtn Bike thing. I have seen many frames crack on the Cannonwhales.

• tripm

Posted October 09, 2001 - 06:40 AM

Yup. I had one replaced under warranty. After the regional rep called me and said 'what we're going to do, Mark, is get you some green touch up paint and paint over the spot on the frame'. To which I replied 'what you're going to do, is replace the frame and give me my bike back, which is BRAND new and cracked'.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • *mike68*

Posted October 09, 2001 - 07:56 AM

Yup,
I didn't hear too many good things about customer support either. Kinda like yamaha.

• chris_covey

Posted October 09, 2001 - 01:44 PM

well it sure looks good . thanks for the reply . by the way , the new bikes are going for $ 5899.00 for a 2002 x 440 s the other modles in spring will be $ 1000.00 more

• Chris_Slade

Posted October 09, 2001 - 04:00 PM

Not only with C'dales innovations, but think about this.....

Honda has been working for 30+ years on a motorcycle, and just recently hit aluminum frames (relativly speaking). Even on their 3rd generation frame they still need a bit of work.
Cannondale comes along, and with no prior experience, thinks they are going to produce a superior ALUMINUM frame?? Beat HONDA?? Come on.

Why did C'dale run a filter behind the number plate anyway? Ram Air? WON't the plate block the air from 'ramming'? Also....if they run vented plates....first big, dusty, dirty roost you take will clog the filter. Guess thats why EVERYONE ELSE runs it under the seat, where it is CLEAN.
Not to bash anyone, please, don't take any offense.....but thats another way where engineers are "smart", but they sure are stupid sometimes. Common sense should tell you front of a bike is bad spot to put an air filter.

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• bonez34

Posted October 12, 2001 - 05:57 PM

they weren't trying to create ram air, they were doing it to reverse the engine in the frane-intake in front and exhaust in rear.

it makes sense to me why they did it but if it was such a good idea then why haven't the big 4 done it?

i think their concept was weight-put the gas where the airbox is and you have effectively lowered the cg and lost weight with exhaust tubing (not much-1/2 lb.?)-or is the gas still in the same location? i don't know.

i wouldn't buy that thing anymore than a kia or daewoo.

• bonez34

Posted October 12, 2001 - 05:59 PM

Originally posted by chris covey:
well it sure looks good . thanks for the reply . by the way , the new bikes are going for $ 5899.00 for a 2002 x 440 s the other modles in spring will be $ 1000.00 more

what looks good? the plastic and stickers? and why are you giving the price?
you guys at cannondale must be struggling to sell those things.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.