2004 vs. 2005/6 WR450

8 replies to this topic
  • irondawg

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hola,

I'm in the market for a new(ish) bike and I've decided on the WR450 as my choice. I've been doing a lot of research on the '05 and '06 models but was just given the opportunity to buy a new '04 still on the showroom floor for WAY less than a '05/'06 which gives me nice size budget for tank, suspension mods and dual sport doodads and maybe wheels for SM.

I feel I know the '05 and ''06 bikes fairly well and their differences, however, I don't know anything about the '04. I tried using search but it's either busy or not working.

What I do know is the '04 had a wide tank...that's not an issue since I'll be replacing it with a larger IMS and the seat is 20mm higher. Again, not an issue.

Can anyone give some info on things like handling, suspension components, carb, etc.

Cheers,

ID

• Matty05

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:43 PM

The suspension is different, the '04's got 46mm forks not 48mm ones.
They are not as good as the '05's or '06's, but if you are going to set them up properly, it won't really matter.

Everything else is pretty much the same!

• snakesausage

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:50 PM

Also, the frame was shortened in 05 to make the seat shorter and lower the center of gravity.

• beakr

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Also, in 2004 the engine had 12.5 to 1 compression, and no smog pump cr@p. in '05 they reduced the compression to 12 to 1 and added the smog stuff. The tank is larger capacity on the '04, and it is a bit taller. I haven't ridden the '05/'06 but some guys say they feel like they handle a bit better, but other guys say that they like the '04 motor better. I say it's tough to go wrong either way. I bought my '04 instead of an '05 because, like you, I got a deal, but haven't regretted my decision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hola,

I'm in the market for a new(ish) bike and I've decided on the WR450 as my choice. I've been doing a lot of research on the '05 and '06 models but was just given the opportunity to buy a new '04 still on the showroom floor for WAY less than a '05/'06 which gives me nice size budget for tank, suspension mods and dual sport doodads and maybe wheels for SM.

I feel I know the '05 and ''06 bikes fairly well and their differences, however, I don't know anything about the '04. I tried using search but it's either busy or not working.

What I do know is the '04 had a wide tank...that's not an issue since I'll be replacing it with a larger IMS and the seat is 20mm higher. Again, not an issue.

Can anyone give some info on things like handling, suspension components, carb, etc.

Cheers,

ID

Lets just say that if I didn't live in Ca, I'd be a left over 2004

• Matty05

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:03 PM

Also, in 2004 the engine had 12.5 to 1 compression, and no smog pump cr@p. in '05 they reduced the compression to 12 to 1 and added the smog stuff. The tank is larger capacity on the '04, and it is a bit taller. I haven't ridden the '05/'06 but some guys say they feel like they handle a bit better, but other guys say that they like the '04 motor better. I say it's tough to go wrong either way. I bought my '04 instead of an '05 because, like you, I got a deal, but haven't regretted my decision.

12.3:1 comp on the '05's.

• beakr

Posted March 31, 2006 - 07:12 AM

12.3:1 comp on the '05's.

I stand corrected. . . :thumbsup:

• boater5150

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:14 AM

2004 Is A Red Sticker Bike In Calif. 2055 And Up Have Smog Equip, So They Are Green Sticker Bikes. ( If You Live In Calif)

• irondawg

Posted March 31, 2006 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to check the bike out tomorrow.

I live in Texas so no problem with green sticker issues.

I did find specs last night...seat height is 39+...Holy @#*! that's a long way up...and down... :thumbsup:

I found the thread on Mountain Sports lowering link to lower the bike 1.5" so this plus the suspension mods I had planned should take care of things.

The 2004 is looking good!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.