Chrome frame

4 replies to this topic
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted March 30, 2006 - 01:21 PM

Im going to chrome my frame on my 1996 XR600R, don't laugh! It looks way cool to have a chrome frame on a dirt bike! Actually, this is no longer a dirt bike, it is a Supermoto. I also will be chroming or anodizing the swingarm, anyway, I have a question, has anyone here done this who had a steel froma as opposed to just polishing an aluminum frame? Ive seen it but wanted to know who has done it how much it cost and if you had any problems...thansk

• desmo900

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:40 PM

might look good.. but i would not chrome the frame and swingarm.. Steel has a problem with hydrogen making the things brittle when you plate with chrome.. you could how ever go with Bright Nickel. It will have nearly the shine of chrome but not weaken the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I want to see pictures when it's done.

• augustiron

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:08 PM

be prepared for sticker shock. I almost keeled over when I got the quote to chrome some fenders and other bits I needed for a build I was doing.
$300/fender, etc. I've seen online quotes of around $1k for a frame chroming job.

• roadcam

Posted March 31, 2006 - 04:37 PM

if you want the custom look, without the $$$ expense, have the frame nickel-plated ... showchrome goes in stages of copper, then nickel,lastly the chrome .. if you only go the nickel route, it is WAY cheaper ... no, not shiny like chrome, more like the finish on tools ... was good enough for me to use on a couple of street choppers years ago :thumbsup:

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.