Don't need hotstart. normal??

9 replies to this topic
  • Wicked Xtreme

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I have now about 5hrs on my 06', jetted 48/170. I noticed that even after riding 4 hard laps, I stop, shut off the bike, or crash, wichever comes first. To restart, I just give it a kick, yes just 1, and it fires right up. I haven't used the hotstart yet. Is this normal or is something wrong??? thanks :thumbsup:

• darksun27

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:44 AM

i dont think its abnormal. my yz 426 is the same way, i NEVER have to use the hotstart unless it gets flooded

• GONE1445

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I have had my 01 426 for a while and only used the hot start once and my cuz has only used the hot start once on his yz250f

• tutta_velocita

Posted March 30, 2006 - 12:41 PM

On my 00' YZ426, with jetting work and a power now unit, I rarely have to use the hot start. In fact, people comment that this YZ is alot easier to start than most. However, I do try to turn off the petcock, as soon as I can, every time I crash or drop the bike.

• Reyndogg

Posted March 30, 2006 - 01:17 PM

my 06 doesnt need the hot start most of the time either

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NYMXer

Posted March 30, 2006 - 03:43 PM

Im jetted 48/168 and I have yet to use the hot start. Mine also starts while in gear! Sometimes it takes 2 kicks if in gear. When cold, I use the choke, 2 twist of the throttle and she fires right up. This jetting change works very well. :thumbsup:

• yzf450jack

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Hot start what's that The little clutch lever that you never use! My bike starts so easy I can start with my hand :thumbsup: I think the powerNow helps a lot and proper carb tuning :thumbsup:

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted March 30, 2006 - 07:26 PM

Thanks, I was getting a little concerned. But hey, that is one less thing I have to worry about doing. And I have to say that my, or I guess anyones, 06' rocks. I changed the jetting, the front tire (Michelin starcross) and I am changing the rear tomorrow, not real smart being that I have to race on Sunday. New aluminum throttle tube, dropped the forks to the first line, new chain. This thing rips, 35' uphill double in 2nd with a quick blip. I have to get used of the engine braking though, I chop the throttle before a corner and find myself needing to get back on it just to make it there with the same speed, weird.

Need to get used of the weight/power. First race on Sunday, Walden mx, D34.
Hopefully I will do well, racing in the +25c and 30c.

Thanks again guys.
:thumbsup:

• tutta_velocita

Posted March 31, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Good luck on Sunday!

• PK

Posted March 31, 2006 - 03:35 PM

I pull my hot start when I have been on the track for a while and I know the bike is pretty hot only because it will definitely fire up on the first kick whereas other times it may be the 2nd or 3rd kick, but only when it's hot. I guess I don't need it but it helps...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.