03 YZ450F Crank Problems

10 replies to this topic
  • 03yz450f-43

Posted March 30, 2006 - 07:11 AM

I have been advised that the crank in the 03 YZ450F is a potential failure mode. I was told that to make the bike lighter, the crank was not as substantial as it should be and that the cranks on the 2004 were beefed up. Any feedback on this?

Thanks,

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2006 - 07:47 AM

The only difference in the two cranks is the connecting rod. But whatever the improvement was, the "danger" of an '03 blowing apart is somewhat exaggerated. I personally have never heard of a con rod failure in that engine. Maybe in a supermoto or 1/2 mile engine? Still, if you were ever rebuilding, it would make sense to use the upgraded assembly.

• 03yz450f-43

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:21 AM

Thanks,

The motor is apart so I think I'll go ahead with the upgrade.

• boyonblue52

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:02 AM

My friend threw his rod bearing in his o3 yz450f one day while riding. Kept up on all his check ups and one day she just went. Maybe this helps you with an idea?!?!?!

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:50 AM

The only difference in the two cranks is the connecting rod. But whatever the improvement was, the "danger" of an '03 blowing apart is somewhat exaggerated. I personally have never heard of a con rod failure in that engine. Maybe in a supermoto or 1/2 mile engine? Still, if you were ever rebuilding, it would make sense to use the upgraded assembly.

There were severaL lower end failures on the '03s that I am aware of. But there is nothing harder on these motors than 1/2 mile and Mile racing. On the Miles, they are actually wide open for the entire race! Tdub

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:59 AM

What are the performance differences between the 03 and 04 crank? That motor was a little softer than the 03....

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2006 - 02:00 PM

The "softer" performance you speak of is, to the best of my knowledge, entirely due to a different ignition map. Almost everything else is nearly identical.

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2006 - 03:39 PM

The intake tract is also different. The '03 head is no longer available. Tdub

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:59 PM

The intake tract is also different. The '03 head is no longer available. Tdub

Was that the smaller port diameters and the reconfiguration of the diversion into 3 individual ports? The piston is also a different part, which I had thought was to match the reshaped chamber, but I don't think either of those things softened the character of the engine any.

Thoughts on that Tryce? Which head do you think makes more power?

• rasta

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:35 PM

My friend threw his rod bearing in his o3 yz450f one day while riding. Kept up on all his check ups and one day she just went. Maybe this helps you with an idea?!?!?!

same here, my rod bearing went out about 6 months after owning bike. i worked at a shop at the time so it was well maintained but anyways cost me $1,600.00 for dealer rebuild. it did blow up the following ride in the first 10-15 minutes but thats another story.

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Was that the smaller port diameters and the reconfiguration of the diversion into 3 individual ports? The piston is also a different part, which I had thought was to match the reshaped chamber, but I don't think either of those things softened the character of the engine any.

Thoughts on that Tryce? Which head do you think makes more power?

The '03 head was by far the easiest head to get power out of. Intake roof got lower every year( the YZF got "mellower" each consecutive year), depending on which tuner you talk to, made it more difficult to work with.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.