XR650L Just how light is possible?

11 replies to this topic
  • rockydrxrvr

Posted March 29, 2006 - 10:12 PM

Just sold my 650l to my buddy. Put it on the scale and came in at 275 pounds with oil and 1/3 tank of fuel in a Clark tank. Excel rims and hubs, r carb,fmf pipe baja designs seat and lighting ,yes,,blinker and a horn, aluminum battery box, fender mods.protaper bars on and on. Ok,,,not bad, and I know I'm tooting the my horn,but not bad for a bike Honda advertises in it's brochure as 325 pounds dry. And for even a bigger eye opener the strictly dirt version is advertised at 265 dry. So just for fun, cause it's still raining and cold up in the Pacific N.W......can anybody beat 275 pounds? :confused: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Wheels up

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:06 AM

Is the scale calibrated? I haven't weighed mine nor do i have the battery box but it's had a face lift. ( Junk gone)

I know she's a little lighter but I don't think she's 275.

I will check soon and post.

• HawkGT

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:14 AM

I gotta admit I'm a little skeptical about that 275. I just don't see taking 50+ lbs off an L without MAJOR mods...but I don't have any direct experience with Ls so, :thumbsup: .

• adam574

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:43 AM

this is definately interesting... so does this mean that the r model weight like 240? nothing you did really would have shaved that much weight. maybe a couple pounds but not 50. i wonder if there advertised weight is wrong?

• rkuckkahn

Posted March 30, 2006 - 12:18 PM

Got a picture? I can see maybe 20 pounds, but 50? Maybe the picture will reveal if the engine was replaced with a rubber band.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 30, 2006 - 01:53 PM

Got a picture? I can see maybe 20 pounds, but 50? Maybe the picture will reveal if the engine was replaced with a rubber band.

LMFAO!!! :thumbsup:

I'm in agreement with rkuckkahn. There isn't that much excess stuff that can be lost to lose 50 lbs and still have the e-start and be street legal. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted March 30, 2006 - 02:10 PM

My 1996 XR600R weighs right at 262 with oil and 2 galons of fuel. I think the advertised weight is wrong, but the L is about 50 pounds heavier than a R model...

• MindBlower

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:23 PM

My 1996 XR600R weighs right at 262 with oil and 2 galons of fuel. I think the advertised weight is wrong, but the L is about 50 pounds heavier than a R model...

Yeh, that could happen.
Cuz, like, they really don't care how much they weigh..... :thumbsup:
(extreme sarcasm) :thumbsup:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I am not saying its not possible to make a 650L 275pds, but with your mods i don't think so. You droped over 50pds if you did. OIL, Brake fluid, Gas, ect. Gas weights 6pds a gallon so you had around 4-5pds of gas and around 2-3pds of the rest of the fluids. So you actually droped 58pds, Right?
I have heard wet weights of xr650L's of 350-375pds so mabey you are a 100pds off. lol OR the scale is out of wack.

I got a street plated xr650R that I will weigh in the near future, and know a guy that can weigh his xr650L. We both have the standard mods. Will be interesting. I know 650r's range from 300-320 Ready to Run. I wonder if the R and L power diffrences will be very noticable when me and my freind race?

• XRsteve

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I think its possible to drop a lot of weight off the L. It doesn't look like he listed all the mods. He probably also removed smog pump, fender bag, rear pegs, subframe, reflectors, etc. and changed blinkers, tires, etc to the lightest available parts. Remember, removing 2 lbs in 10 different places drops 20 lbs off the weight. All the little stuff does add up. he probably dropped 7 lbs with just the fuel tank.

• captb

Posted March 31, 2006 - 09:22 AM

:thumbsup: The other mods must have been magnesium engine main cases, titanium crank and gears and carbon fibre frame and forks. See it's easy to make them light. When I had my L I removed everything it didn't need it and replaced some steel with alum, it came out to about 19 lbs lighter that's including lighter front fender, lighter bars, no speedo, smog removal, lighter exhaust sys complete, no rear pegs, no rear disc guard, no shrouds, aluminum sprocket rear, R t/lamp, R model H/lamp, no ignition switch and all excess switches and wiring removed, if it had a kick start I would have removed the batt and starter.

• xbreaka

Posted April 02, 2006 - 07:27 AM

i would assume it would be possible, if one replaced the sprockets, swingarm, and such, I mean theirs a guide somewhere about how to reduce 20 lbs alone with anything major. So I bet its possible, but probably expensive, I mean why spend 4 grand on lightening junk when you can buy a brand new bike for that, my bike is almost stock besides tires, pipe and it can tackle deep cape cod sand and tight trails just fine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.