5 replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted October 08, 2001 - 12:20 PM

Took my first trail ride this weekend and I have found the need for handguards, ie barkbusters or whatever, as long as I get some. Which kinds fit easily on the `01 WR without tons of modifications? Moving the controls or taking the ball off the levers is no big deal. Thanks.

• Bill

Posted October 08, 2001 - 02:49 PM

If you plan on keeping the bike you may want to consider a triple clamp mounting system for your handguards. This WILL raise the cost and may require you, to make some adjustments to your controls. But, you can't beat their strength and ability to stay put.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, de-octopussed (Thanks Clark) EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• Bryce_Senff

Posted October 08, 2001 - 07:25 PM

Hi Pooley,
I put the acerbis pro rally guards on my
wr426. I can honestly say that while I had to pay about $35. extra for a pro taper bar
kit and a eve. of dicking around with it, I am extremely happy with the protection that these guards provide. Up here in Washington,
we have lots of trees and blackberry bushes
that have a tendancy to ruin a otherwise fun
ride. I mainly put the guards on due to a fall and a bent clutch lever, but I probably
would never ride without them again.
I also just put on a Clarke YZ426 tank and
SDG seat. Wow, what a difference! Along with the proper sag for the rear suspension,
the bike actually steers through a corner instead of pushing all the time.

Bryce Senff
WMRRA #201
Oh it's Good to Be Back on a Dirtbike!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darbsitton

Posted October 10, 2001 - 02:59 AM

You need an aluminum guard for the big hits and crashes, with a plastic guard to protect from brush.

I prefer Fredette Hand Savers over "Bark Busters" because they fit easier. A big hammer can be used to make minor adjustments.
I like for the plastic deflecter to be somewhat flexible in case I take a trip over the bars. Fredette and several other companies sell a set similar to what I have.

I don't like Acerbis setup. The "plastic" does not give much protection, and the extenders that can be used for additional protection break easily.

When mounting the bars, I rotate them slightly downward, maybe an inch or two below the handlebar. Once again this is in case I take a trip over the bars.

p.s. While I strongly advocate using handguards, I know a couple of people who have broken wrists going over the bars, which is why I express a little caution. These same people would have probably crushed their hands many times over if they did not have the handguards.

• dwby2kwr

Posted October 10, 2001 - 03:53 PM

My first set was the Acerbis Pro Rally with aluminum bars running through them. What a pain in the ass to install but very good protection. Then I foun a set of Acerbis that mount the say way but are all plastic. Still reinforced but all plastic, takes less that half the time to put them on and they look cool too. Cost about $60 at the dealship. well worth it the first time they deflect cactus needles though, believe me those(cactus) really hurt. And there is nothing worse than sitting along the trail pulling cactus out of you hand and the others ride by laughing.

y2k wr, airbox lid removed, 180 main, 48 pilot, 426yz er needle,
wr timing, WB E-series S-bend w/ tapered head pipe
acerbis tank(yz), sdg seat(yz), scotts damper

• wrooster

Posted October 12, 2001 - 05:50 PM

check out http://www.thumperta...TML/000361.html
and http://www.thumperta...TML/000458.html
and http://www.thumperta...TML/000616.html

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.