handling of yzf 450

I am currently in the position to swap out my 250 two stroke for a 450. i want the 06 yzf450 but its too much $. Ive ridden 400S and 426S and like them, but after ridding a crf 450 i know i want a 450(probably not honda, the valve issues scare me). the steel frame yzf450 would be ideal, but all i hear is that they are top heavy donkeys(even more than the 400/426). if anyone has any comments about the handling of the yzf450 in comparison with the 400/426/crf450 or with no caparison i would greatly appreciate it.

It just takes getting used to thats all. It is a little easier to tip over but other than that it handles alright. If you ride for fun get an '03 YZ450F. If you want to race get the '04 or the '05 YZ450F. The '03 YZ450F has an awsome mid range hit that makes it really fun to ride.

My Friend Bought The Limited 2006 Yz450f And I Just Got The 2006 Yz450f Blue And White, Now I Am Used To A 2000 Yz250 2stroke That Really Hauled Ass It Was Top To Bottom Race Ready But He Talked Me Into Trading It In For The 450 4stroke And The First Day I Was Jumping Like Crazy And Held A Wheelie Through 3rd Gear It Was Awesome, I Miss The Sound Of A 2stroke But Theres No Comparison This Bike Handles Like A Dream And Is The Best One I've Owend Yet. The Jumps Are Nose Heavy At First But You Need To Get Used To The Bike. (i Love It)

I went to an 04 yz450 after years on Honda 2 strokes. Love the yz's power and no valve issues. I did not think the bike felt too top heavy, but did not care for the way it turned.(not like a honda) I installed a 22.5 mm offset triple clamp and that cured all my turning issues. Didn't lose any straight line stability either.

I am currently in the position to swap out my 250 two stroke for a 450. i want the 06 yzf450 but its too much $. Ive ridden 400S and 426S and like them, but after ridding a crf 450 i know i want a 450(probably not honda, the valve issues scare me). the steel frame yzf450 would be ideal, but all i hear is that they are top heavy donkeys(even more than the 400/426). if anyone has any comments about the handling of the yzf450 in comparison with the 400/426/crf450 or with no caparison i would greatly appreciate it.

I had a 2005 YZ 250 that was set up by Ryan Clark. That bike was awesome, but when I went and rode my buddy's 04 450 yam, my two stroke was in the trader the next week. The first time ever on his bike, I was faster than my two stroke. If you want the best handling bike, get the 06. If you want a good, used, well built 4 stroke get an 04 or 05. Personally, I would do whatever it took to get the 06.

I have an 03 YZ 450 and before that i had a 99 400. the 450 is so much better. it handles like a charm once you get used to it. my bro rides the 400 now and when i switch over it feels like a heavy beast. plus the 450 starts a lot easier ?

Another thing you can do to improve the 2003 or 2004 Yz 450f's turning and top-heavy feel is to install a Stormlink linkage. I bought one used and haven't had any time on it yet, but people say that it definately helps....we'll see if that's true very soon.

the bottom line is the 450 s are all better yzf/crf etc.. The question now is how much do you want to spend....on top of the trade.

The 03 yzf/crf are good bikes...I prefer the yami - the hit is awesome...but prepare to tweek it...it needs several things to make it better...flywheel weight and suspension and turning help - most will probably have these things..clutch must be checked to..

It just takes getting used to thats all. It is a little easier to tip over but other than that it handles alright. If you ride for fun get an '03 YZ450F. If you want to race get the '04 or the '05 YZ450F. The '03 YZ450F has an awsome mid range hit that makes it really fun to ride.

hit the nail on the head with that one.

i have an '03 yz450 that i bought brand new in '04. I dont race, but i do like to ride mx tracks now and then. I love my bike for what i ride. I ride for fun, i ride a lot of fast, winding, woods trails...along with alot of sand dunes and a lot of differant terrains. My bike is perfect for what i ride, i put a pro circuit exhaust set up on it and it has all the power i really need. If the time comes when i want to start racing, there is a lot of stuff you can do to it to grab some extra power and lighten in up somewhat, but really weight is not an issue with me...i would recommend that bike, you could probably find a good one thats been taken care of for a decent price nowadays also.

its all about personal pref, just get what you can afford and feel comfortable on, yea a 06 is nice, but i just bought my 04 for 3600 and they had 05s for 4300, so im waiting til the first of the year in 07 and will pick up a 06, seems ideal to me. good luck.

• 1 month later...

Offset clamps are coming for the 06 YZ450. Will spending the money do the same thing as continuing to raise the tubes up PAST "the line", and changing sag (less than 98), who knows. I will say that getting used to the handling of ANY 450 is a challenge coming of a 2 pop. I went from a 2002 CR250 to a 2006 YZ 450. The 450 flat tracks better, handles deep ruts as good, but doesn't seem to handle looser ruts as well, tends to skate and pop out. But having said that, tire choice seems super critical on 450's of any kind, right tire for the terrain. I also have learned that you have to "drive" the bike through the turns, power on early and arc it around, no more ramming it into a turn and laying it sideways, and blasting - sliding and pivoting doesn't seem to work like it does on a 250 2 stroke.

All in all I'de have to say the YZ450 is a great package, but don't be afraid to tune the clickers (man I've probably cranked my rear rebound in 4 clicks). I'm still not totally happy with the turning, but part of it is my technique I know. I'm going to keep playing with the settings, worst case go with offset clamps whenever those come out. As far as the "dreaded" front wash out - I think that's mostly the wrong tire, technique, and riding it stock with the tubes level with top of clamp.

Good luck,

rcmxracing

Offset clamps are coming for the 06 YZ450. Will spending the money do the same thing as continuing to raise the tubes up PAST "the line", and changing sag (less than 98), who knows. I will say that getting used to the handling of ANY 450 is a challenge coming of a 2 pop. I went from a 2002 CR250 to a 2006 YZ 450. The 450 flat tracks better, handles deep ruts as good, but doesn't seem to handle looser ruts as well, tends to skate and pop out. But having said that, tire choice seems super critical on 450's of any kind, right tire for the terrain. I also have learned that you have to "drive" the bike through the turns, power on early and arc it around, no more ramming it into a turn and laying it sideways, and blasting - sliding and pivoting doesn't seem to work like it does on a 250 2 stroke.

All in all I'de have to say the YZ450 is a great package, but don't be afraid to tune the clickers (man I've probably cranked my rear rebound in 4 clicks). I'm still not totally happy with the turning, but part of it is my technique I know. I'm going to keep playing with the settings, worst case go with offset clamps whenever those come out. As far as the "dreaded" front wash out - I think that's mostly the wrong tire, technique, and riding it stock with the tubes level with top of clamp.

Good luck,

rcmxracing

your new 450 will never turn as good as your CR250 no matter what you do! that was a great turning dike