air leak?

5 replies to this topic
  • kkameny

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:51 PM

I decided to check my jetting last night to try to eliminate some decel popping. The previous owner wasn't sure what it had.T he bike ran good before. I have a Q pipe, Yamaha AIS block off, YZ stop,grey wire cut, Zip ty screw.At sea level
It appeared to be jetted o.k. main-168. pj-50, needle is the one from the AIS kit at the 4th position. So when I put it back together it popped 100% worse.
I didn't change anything,I even took it back apart to make sure all was o.k.
The only thing I found was I broke the the fitting for the hot start at the carb. It works o.k. ,but will it leak air through it and cause popping?
Thanx

• Yamaster

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:59 PM

It could because all the hot start does is open up another air passage allowing the mixture to lean out to start the bike when it is warmed up, so if you have a broken fitting, some air might be leaking into there.

• Numskull

Posted March 29, 2006 - 09:23 PM

So when I put it back together it popped 100% worse.
I didn't change anything,I even took it back apart to make sure all was o.k.
The only thing I found was I broke the the fitting for the hot start at the carb. It works o.k. ,but will it leak air through it and cause popping?
Thanx

The hot start opens up a controlled air leak to lean the bike out for easier starts under specific conditions. If its broke, your bike will run extremely lean. :thumbsup:

Yes, that is what I would be looking into further, and fixing :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kkameny

Posted March 30, 2006 - 01:19 PM

bump.

• Matty05

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:46 PM

you already got the answer bud.....

• dbailey223

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:05 PM

Let me guess, it's that crappy piece of plastic nut, right? Go for metal now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.