Nice Mod and good advice

5 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:58 PM

Thanks to the advice of TimBRP here on TT I went and got a Pirelli MT-18 front tire. I only have about 10 street miles on it as of now but it seems decent on the slab and I look forward to trying it in the woods and the local sand pits.
I also replaced the stock front floppy fender with a UFO unit for an XR400. It's too early to tell if it helps with cooling or highway stability but it sure does look better.

• TimBrp

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:11 AM

I know you'll enjoy that tire. It's a great compromise for off/on road. Was she a bugger to mount up? LOL! Wait until you try and take the damn thing off when it's time to change it out. It's steel belted and took me a bit of time. I don't bother with the "formal" method dismounting of tires anymore to save them as "possible" spares. I just cut the damn things and this tire sucked with the steel belts. Should have seen me sitting there with the roto-zip so close to my new Excel wheels....ZOIKS! You got the MT-18HD right? :thumbsup:

• cubera

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:36 AM

I've run 739, 756, Maxis Desert IT, and now I'm on my second MT18HD. All off road, no street. Very tough long lasting tire but takes some getting used to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HRCMan

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:07 PM

Is the MT18 a steel belted tire (wire in the tread section), or are you referring to the bead wire?

• wheelnut46

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:39 PM

I know you'll enjoy that tire. It's a great compromise for off/on road. Was she a bugger to mount up? LOL! Wait until you try and take the damn thing off when it's time to change it out. It's steel belted and took me a bit of time. I don't bother with the "formal" method dismounting of tires anymore to save them as "possible" spares. I just cut the damn things and this tire sucked with the steel belts. Should have seen me sitting there with the roto-zip so close to my new Excel wheels....ZOIKS! You got the MT-18HD right? :thumbsup:

Actually I just rode the bike to work on Wednesday and dropped it off at a cycle shop 2 miles from my office during lunch. Paid the bill after work and rode home.
:thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted March 31, 2006 - 04:53 AM

I believe just the bead is belted. Still a sonofab!tch to get mounted.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.