2 Master Links to add to chain length? DID O Ring

16 replies to this topic
  • xnofriendsx

Posted March 29, 2006 - 03:46 PM

I am running 14/49 on my 2002 YZ426 and wanted to try out a new 50 tooth rear sprocket but my chain is too short, just barely. I have a DID O ring chain that is basically new and only has a few rides on it.

1. If i get another Master Link (2 total) will this be ok or will it be too much stress on the chain?

2. Or can i try to add a link by pushing the rod through where i did the chain break earlier. I always thought this would be sketchy though, but wondered if this is worse or better than adding a second master link.

3. Or should i just get a new DID O ring chain? (this is sort of obvious, but was just wondering what everyone thought)

Thanks for any help.

• unkle_george

Posted March 29, 2006 - 03:56 PM

Make sure you have the wheel all the way ahead. (The obvious solution)

You can add a second master link ok, it'll just be twice as likely to fail. How often do you break master links? Almost Never * 2 still equals Almost Never.

If it's a new chain it will stretch a bit and you might be able to remove the second link after a while.

It all depends on how far from the truck you'll be when you're riding.
- Ryan

• Norman

Posted March 29, 2006 - 03:59 PM

I have 2 on mine now, have for 3 harescramble races and a few play rides, just keep an eye on it. :thumbsup:

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 29, 2006 - 04:04 PM

actually, one more thing.
Does it matter where i put the 2nd master link?
Can i just put it like 4-6 links away or should i break another part away and use it there so the master links are equal distances apart from each other.

• Norman

Posted March 29, 2006 - 04:17 PM

Mine are about 3 links apart.

• NYMXer

Posted March 29, 2006 - 04:41 PM

I have 6 links of 520 O ring chain if you need it. RK gold

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 29, 2006 - 04:56 PM

NYMXer,
Thanks, but i am good on the links. I have about 6 leftover. Can you mix match links anyways?
I have a DID O Ring chain.

• NYMXer

Posted March 29, 2006 - 05:25 PM

Sure you can mix and match brands, as long as the links are all the same size chain. You could even add non O ring links if you had to, but I wouldn't do that unless I was broke down along the trail.
Well...........I was just trying to help out. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xnofriendsx

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
I put on the second master link last night. It seems pretty strong, but only time will tell.

Geez, how impossible are the DID O ring master links to put together.
The second half of the link that has the 2 holes is just about impossible to get onto the first half. I had to use like vise grips just to squeeze it in enough to finally get the clip to fit on there.
Took like an hour.
Couldn't they make those 2 hole openings just a tiny bit bigger so it can go on a bit easier or is it supposed to always be that hard.

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Geez, how impossible are the DID O ring master links to put together.

Couldn't they make those 2 hole openings just a tiny bit bigger so it can go on a bit easier or is it supposed to always be that hard.

If they didn't do it that way, the master link would be more prone to fail than a normal link. By setting them up as they are, they are as reliable as any other part of the chain. Just make sure that the clip is facing the right way, and fully engaged. (I currently have two right next to each other on mine. No problems.

There are specialized tools made to facilitate the assembly, such as the Regina 805182 (halfway down the page). Motion Pro makes a simpler version, but I don't know how well it works. You can substitute a C-clamp, a small puller, or even Vise-Grips. You will need to find a small nut or something to put over the pins on the outer plate so that they can extend through.

In using a mix of new and old chain parts, be sure that your chain is not worn to the extent that the new section creates a significant tight spot in the tension adjustment. Actually, if it's that bad, you should replace the whole thing.

Never mix sealed and non-sealed chain components, as was suggested earlier. Non-sealed links won't fit a sealed chain properly (or vice-versa), and they will not allow the seals to be installed on the adjoining sealed links.

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:14 AM

This may be a stupid question, but what is the correct way for the clip to be facing?
I have always done this...., but now that i think about it, i am not 100% sure.

If always fix my master link when it is above my swingarm. The open part of the clip would be facing right. When i use needle nose pliers to close it, i squeeze from left to right.

Is this right?

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Couple of tips...
The opening of the clip should face away from the direction of rotation. In other words, when the chain is going towards the engine, the opening should be pointing to the rear of the bike. That make sense?
When installing a press fit master, an easy way to do it if you don't have the proper tool is to use an 8mm box end wrench and a vise grip to "squeeze" the plate on. Once you get the clip on, it is VERY important to tap on the link with a hammer to seat the plate against the clip, as to not put enough pressure on the link and plate to cause the master to bind. Just rotate the wheel until the master is on the rear sprocket and tap. Then rotate the wheel to make sure the chain isn't kinked at the master.
If you have access to a welder, take a 1/4-20 nut and weld it to the end of the jaws of an old worn out vise grip. Works as good as any of the special tools for pressing the link together. Hope this helps. Tdub

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:29 AM

.If always fix my master link when it is above my swingarm. The open part of the clip would be facing right. When i use needle nose pliers to close it, i squeeze from left to right.

Is this right?

Yes :thumbsup:

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for all the great tips. I just want to be as safe as possible and not get stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere because of my stupidity or something.
I think i am good now though.
Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:06 PM

Couple of tips...
The opening of the clip should face away from the direction of rotation. In other words, when the chain is going towards the engine, the opening should be pointing to the rear of the bike. That make sense?

Or, the old saw, "A fish never swims with its mouth open." :thumbsup:

There's one about why cavemen used to drag women by the hair instead of their feet, too, but we'll skip that one. :thumbsup:

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Or, the old saw, "A fish never swims with its mouth open." :confused:

There's one about why cavemen used to drag women by the hair instead of their feet, too, but we'll skip that one. :thumbsup:

uhhh that was good :thumbsup: Tdub

• dkwok

Posted March 31, 2006 - 02:10 PM

heard tat different brands have different master links,
:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.