New clutch problems...

9 replies to this topic
  • yamadoggy

Posted March 29, 2006 - 11:47 AM

O.K. Guys, Last race i smoked the clutch in my 05 450. I mean smoked it. Looked and smelled like burnt toast when I replaced it. Replaced it with a DP clutch (my favorite parts guy said it was one of the best). So I've gone on a two rides with the new clutch. First ride was only about 25 miles. Second ride (yesterday) was a very agressive 60 miles. Now, usually, when the clutch breaks in a little, the lever will get some slop right? Not mine, it keeps getting tighter. I had to stop and loosen it three times yesterday to get some freeplay back into the lever. Any body have any ideas? When I replaced it, the basket and presure plat looked brand new still. I have another race on sunday, and need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks everybody. Jason

• yamadoggy

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Anybody....anybody....Bueller...

• yzf450jack

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Go hydraulic the engagement always will be the same :thumbsup: no more adjusting :thumbsup:

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:03 PM

I always replace with oem parts.

• Scooter33

Posted March 29, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I think what you are experiencing is the same effect as a normal clutch but the reason it seems backwards is because you have a push rod style clutch from the opposite side of the motor. As your clutch breaks in it puts more pressure against the rod witch would tighten up the cable. If your clutch arm was on the right side of the motor this would be a pull type and it would create slack in the cable after break in. I would say you are ok. good luck at the race. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRH

Posted March 30, 2006 - 01:44 PM

I too think you are good to go. What you described seems normal as my Barnett clutch did the same thing. After installing your new clutch and before your first ride, did you adjust the cable? Probably not! So your new clutch is in there with the old play from from the old clutch. Now your new clutch is breaking in, getting hot and swelling somewhat. If you think it through, the cable will be getting tighter not looser.

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:41 PM

I think what you are experiencing is the same effect as a normal clutch but the reason it seems backwards is because you have a push rod style clutch from the opposite side of the motor. As your clutch breaks in it puts more pressure against the rod witch would tighten up the cable. If your clutch arm was on the right side of the motor this would be a pull type and it would create slack in the cable after break in. I would say you are ok.

This seems right, especially with some of the aftermarket friction plates (except that it doesn't matter how the clutch is configured; it will tighten either way). A lot of them compress a lot more than the OEM ones do. (parts guys usually tell you that AM plates are better than OEM, but it's usually a matter of them being more profitable. Hinson is the only non-OEM plate I've used that I thought were as good of better than Yamaha's). The result is that the pressure plate moves closer to the push rod, and the loss of free travel shows up at the lever. If you did not pre-soak the plates, that will have exaggerated the effect somewhat. Sounds normal, as long as it stops needing frequent adjustments soon.

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:53 PM

"If you did not pre-soak the plates, that will have exaggerated the effect somewhat."

Ever tear a brand new YZF apart before starting it. The clutch comes DRY from the factory! "SOAKING" the plates is a misnomer...they do not absorb the oil. Frankly IMO it is a waste of time. Starting the bike up with a dry clutch, then holding the clutch disengaged momentarily will accomplish the same thing as "coating" the plates with oil before assembly. Again, JMO Tdub

• yamadoggy

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thanks guys- I'm really hoping you're right....As far as presoak or no presoak, I didn't. The instructions specifically stated that it was unnecesary. So I didn't. Again, Thanks for the help everybody. Jason

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:58 PM

my rekluse has no pull :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.